Please Help! Super Itchy lab...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help! Super Itchy lab...

Alex1041 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPlease Help! Super Itchy lab...

Hello all,

We just got an 8 month purebred and she is sweet as a button. She is an inside dog and only goes outside to play, for a walk or to go to the bathroom. She is also on Confortis as of 01-21-13. The Confortis helped, but now it is getting bad like it was before.

She itches and nibbles quite often m every 5-8 minutes. I took her to the vet and no evidence of fleas or skin condition. She was bathed with zymox Before we picked her up.

Is there anything we can do to help relieve the itching/ scratching?

Current food is Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20
    Heart guard is current
    Confortis is current
    All shots are current.

Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lokismomma is offline Senior Member

possible food allergy..your kibble is Corn based....corn allergies in dogs are VERY common. I would suggest switching to a corn free diet or a limited ingredients diet.

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.

Alex1041 is offline Junior Member

She has been on this food since birth. The breeder requires us to keep her on Pro Plan for the warranty.
    It started when she came home to us.
    No carpet in the house, wood floors only that are swept and mopped each week.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

So, you just got her? You mention it being bad "before"....when before?

It could be something as simple as the atmosphere in your house being dry. You may want to try a humidifier. You could also look into adding in fish oil to her diet. Many people feed their dogs sardines a couple of times a week as a way to include more fish oil in the diet. I would not assume an allergy - I would look to a simple solution first.

How often is this dog bathed? Labs typically do not need to be bathed with any regularity and it tends to strip their coat of oils. If there is truly a skin condition, an oatmeal type of bath would help - but if there is no skin condition, I would refrain from bathing this dog at all for at least 6 months.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

" The breeder requires us to keep her on Pro Plan for the warranty"

I'm sorry but that is just plain wrong....

purina is a horrible kibble....

that is like an insurance company saying you have to eat at mcdonalds for every meal if you want to keep your health insurance.....

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lokismomma View Post
    " The breeder requires us to keep her on Pro Plan for the warranty"

I'm sorry but that is just plain wrong....

purina is a horrible kibble....

that is like an insurance company saying you have to eat at mcdonalds for every meal if you want to keep your health insurance.....
    I can appreciate that you have strong feelings about this topic, but you should know that a significant percentage of knowledgable, reputable breeders (including mine) feed Pro Plan. They have a tremendous investment in their dogs, their lines and their reputations. I don't think they feed this food because they are poorly informed or because they are shills for Purina.

It works well for a LOT of dogs.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

my2labs is offline Senior Member

Mo is a super itchy dog too and I got coconut oil from the local pet store and rub it on his itchiest spots. It seems to work out pretty well and makes him smell delish. Not sure why I crave piña coladas after I'm done though LOL

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I would talk to your vet. Each dog is different and for some it might be food,seasonal, dry air, others it is something else they are sensitive or allergic to. There are many reasons a dog itches.
    For dogs like my Tess she is allergic to the yeast her own body makes, and we may never know what causes it to react.

The skin vet I have just seen for Tess said if her previous owners had dealt with her skin problems when she was a puppy she would not be in the state she is now. I feel so bad not being able to help her and the cost now is huge.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Jenylynne is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lokismomma View Post
    possible food allergy..your kibble is Corn based....corn allergies in dogs are VERY common. I would suggest switching to a corn free diet or a limited ingredients diet.
    FTR, pro plan select has no grain, soy, wheat, corn in their kibble.

I saw your "list" of foods you think are "acceptable" and I guess superior to Pro Plan. I've had my pups on Blue Buffalo limited ingredients in the past with horrible results: flaky skin, runny stool, runny eyes. Switched to Pro Plan Select and they are doing SO much better. So, just because something "should" or claims to be better, doesn't mean it is better for every dog.

IMO, your analogy of pro plan to McDonalds is way off.
    Last edited by Jenylynne; 01-24-2013 at 07:42 AM.
    Jen

Cleo, our black beauty

Zeus, our yellow, mellow, fellow

if you are referring to the large list I posted on the other thread then perhaps you should read the whole post. I did not endorse those foods, I was merely pointing out that those particular brands had calcium/phosphate levels of 1% to 1.7% not that they were superior, so please dont put words into my mouth.

second, there are 29 different varieties of pro plan dry kibble, only 6 of which are actually "corn free" ...those are in the select line...all of which contain menadione sodium bisulfite complex which is a man made version of vitamin k3 which has been found to do the following,
    causes cytotoxicity in liver cells
    causes formation of radicals from enzymes of leucocytes, with the consequence of cytotoxic reactions
    considerably weakens the immune system
    possible mutagenic effects
    damages the natural vitamin K cycle
    has no effect on coumarin derivatives, which are often present in commercial food due to mold contamination (toxic when ingested)
    causes hemolytic anemia and hyperbilirubinemia, not just linked to large doses
    disturbs the level of calcium ions (Ca2+) in the body, which is an important factor fibrinolysis
    is directly toxic in high doses (vomiting, albuminuria), unlike natural vitamin K
    builds up in tissue and has been detected in eggs, meat and milk of animals supplemented with menadione derivatives
    causes irritation of skin and mucous membranes
    causes allergic reactions and eczema

and further more,

has never been researched or specifically approved for long term use, such as in pet food
    has been banned from use in food and supplements for human use in many European countries due to serious side effects, including permanent damage and deaths
    FDA has banned synthetic vitamin K from over-the-counter supplements because of its high toxicity
    vitamins K1 and K2 are metabolized through the lymphatic system, utilizing pancreatic enzymes and bile acids and regulated by the liver. Vitamin K3 is absorbed directly and bypasses the natural pathways and regulators.

purina mass produces over 100 different kibbles and they cant manage to keep toxic additives out of one of them. now it's your choice to feed this if you want to, but requiring a person to feed this is just plain ridiculous. now I understand the point is to keep people who buy their pups from feeding them TOTAL garbage like beniful (also made by purina) but a person whould be able to feed a better quaility kibble if they so choose without penalty. personally, I'd void that warranty in a heartbeat if it meant a healthier dog . This breeder obviously couldnt take care of the pup enough to find the cause of the digging, or even mention it for that matter. This does not sound like a responsible breeder at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast