Earthborn Holistic's Puppy Vantage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earthborn Holistic's Puppy Vantage

Rosie's Rents is offline Junior Member

DefaultEarthborn Holistic's Puppy Vantage

My wife and I have "inherited" a six month old bundle of chocolate joy by the name of Rosie and have been lurking on this site for the past month. Aside from the usual growing pains of having a puppy, my wife and I are currently dealing with a diarrhea issue on the mend. We've had her stool tested twice now and there are no issues to report. Our assumption is the change in her kibble. We got Rosie with a bag of puppy chow and kept her on that before going to Earthborn's Puppy Vantage formula.

We did slowly ween Rosie from Puppy Chow to Earthborn's Puppy Vantage over the course of a week. She was very much underweight when we got her and we were intially feeding her 4 cups of puppy chow a day (2 in the AM 2 in the PM). Once the bag of puppy chow that we got her with began to get low, we chose Earthborn and started introducing it as follows: 1.5 cups of puppy chow to .5 cup of earthborn for 2 days. 1 cup to 1 cup for 2 days. Stools were firm - no issues. Then we went .5 cup of puppy chow to 1.5 cup of earthborn for 2 days and still no issues. After that we went all the way with the earthborn. Rosie has gained 7lbs in the last month we've had her and she's kept her huge appetite. Last week her stools began to soften slowly before turning into full diarrhea with one uncontrollable incident.

That is when we called the vet and searched various posts here. Ultimately we decided to go with one can of bland food (GI diet) from the vet, and fed that to her every couple of hours. She kept drinking and eating with no signs of slowing down. From there we boiled white rice and chicken breasts. We've been feeding her about a cup of rice, half a cup of chicken and a teaspoon of yogurt(plain, low fat). This weekend her stools were back to normal.

My (our) plan is to keep her on the rice, chicken, and yogurt for the rest of this week but slowly start to re-introduce the earthborn. My theory, from a layman's perspective is that the week of transition from the puppy chow to earthborn was not long enough for her. If her stool remains the same we'll gradually bring the earthborn back in over the course of two weeks. If the stools soften up again I'll scrap the earthborn and start from scratch.

Of course with all this being said, it's also possible that she might've scarfed something up along our walks that hasn't been agreeing with her.

Any feedback would be appreciated and if anyone has had experience with earthborn's puppy vantage formula that would be great too. I know the coastal catch gets mentioned here a lot and the plains feast(?) does too, haven't seen much on the puppy formula.

At six months it might also be time to switch to an adult formula?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

I just switched my 12 year old from Earthborn. I had switched her to Earthborn after all the recalls on Diamond foods. She has been having the runs off and on since starting Earthborn and it was getting worse. She was tested for everything including Giardia several times; all negative.

I was going to switch her to Royal Canine but can not find the senior blend in the area I live in (Maryland) so she is being switched to a Canadian brand call NOW made by petcurean. I think the Earthborn was just too rich. After so many recalls and switches I hope this food works.

Good luck to you. I think I would start introducing a new food (possibly adult food) that is grain free with the first ingredient being meat, fish. or chicken and not meat meal.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I loved Earthborn! It is indeed rich, and feed it primarily the summer when I can get out and train my dogs more (the primitive, richer version).

Just curious though about RC, aren't senior versions just a scam?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Looks like the earthborn is not agreeing with Rosie. Her stools are softening up again. She'll be going back to bland (rice, chicken, yogurt) until we decide on another kibble.

Thanks for the feedback!

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I've never fed any of the fancier foods to my puppies. They always did really well on Pro Plan Puppy. I do use Earthborn from time to time. I would get your puppy through the puppy stages (mostly teething) and then you can reinvestigate switching.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBrown View Post
    I've never fed any of the fancier foods to my puppies. They always did really well on Pro Plan Puppy. I do use Earthborn from time to time. I would get your puppy through the puppy stages (mostly teething) and then you can reinvestigate switching.
    She came to us at five months old with a big bag of puppy chow. I just remember reading the ingredients and thinking, "we've got to get her better kibble".
    When we were mixing the earthborn into the puppy chow she was fine, regardless of the ratio. Our problems started once she was on earthborn full on.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie's Rents View Post
    Our problems started once she was on earthborn full on.
    I would think this statement would clear it all up for you. She cannot tolerate the Earthborn. Try the ProPlan puppy and like LuvBrown says, get her through the puppy stage before you start messing around with foods. This is why I require my puppies be fed ProPlan puppy. I know exactly how they are going to grow on this food. If the owners want to switch to another brand when the dog is full grown then they can.

Laura

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

At 6 months old wouldn't they be able to put her on adult food? This is not a small puppy.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

smokey is offline Senior Member

I tried to put my puppy on Innova thinking it looked like a really good food and we couldn't get the breeder's brand where we are, he never had a solid stool. We went with Pro Plan chicken and rice and he had normal poop from there on out. We still do Pro Plan, but not puppy formula, we have had him on Pro Plan Performance to gain weight and are going to stick with it. He has a beautiful coat and consistent poop.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    At 6 months old wouldn't they be able to put her on adult food? This is not a small puppy.
    Thanks for catching that big brown.

Rosie is no longer on the earthborn and I'll update on her status this weekend.

In the meantime we will research other brands and decide on something else for her so we can get her off the boiled rice, chicken and yogurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast