Extra "fold" causing infection
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extra "fold" causing infection

ayr
    ayr is offline Junior Member

DefaultInfection from excess fold, surgery?

We noticed that Annabelle was having some sort of discharge, so off to the vet we went this morning. She has an infection caused by urine trapped. He said it was the cause of an extra fold (of skin) over the opening. He said she could grow out of it, but if she does not...she would need surgery. Anyone else dealt with excessive folds that caused infections? She is on antibiotics for 21 days. Such a long time Advice, recommendations, etc appreciated.

p.s. I'm new and will do a proper intro soon

ETA: I did a little online research and this isn't as uncommon as I had thought. I'm still not sure about surgery though. I would absolutely get another vet opinion first.
    Last edited by ayr; 01-21-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: more info to add

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

It sounds like inverted or recessed vulva. It may reverse itself if you wait to spay her after her first heat cycle.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

Definitely wait until she goes through one cycle before you spay her. Sometimes inverted vulvas pop out like they're supposed to be after they've been in heat. It's also a good idea to wipe her after she pees. Baby wipes with no scent are handy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Recessed vulva. Is she spayed yet? If not, many times this will correct itself if you allow the dog to go through one heat cycle.

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

As Sophiesmama and justine said......It does kind of sound like a recessed vulva from your description, but your vet could tell you for sure if this is the issue she has. Do you think this is what he diagnosed? If that's what it is then from what I've read it is quite common. My dog (now 8) had a recessed vulva as a pup and it did resolve itself naturally (without surgery) after letting her go through a heat cycle. My understanding is that this is often the case, but I am not a vet. Fortunately in my dog's case she never had any infections. I knew she had this issue early on and kept a really close eye on things, so perhaps that helped.
    Last edited by Top Of The Hill; 01-22-2013 at 10:43 AM.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Do not let the vet convince you to spay before the dog has gone through one heat.

labby is offline Senior Member

In's and Out's of Puppy Vulvas

DO NOT SPAY THIS PUPPY UNTIL AFTER IT'S HAD A SEASON!!!

Laura

ayr

Thanks for all the replies. She is not spayed yet. I have felt the pressure to do so, but am waiting. I'm glad to hear that the chance of her growing out of it good.

ayr

Hi! This is an old thread, but I wanted to bump it up in case anyone else has this concern or has a pup like mine. I did not spay her and waited for her to have a cycle ...... AND ..... her vulva did indeed correct itself after her heat. So relieved. She is now scheduled to get spayed next month (August)

A.l.marriott is offline Junior Member

Thank you for the update! My 14 weeks old Luna was diagnosed with this early this week and the vet is pushing for a spay and surgically fixing it. The more I read, the more I think it's a terrible idea!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast