Puppy Food Suggestions
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Puppy Food Suggestions

ernbar64 is offline Junior Member

DefaultPuppy Food Suggestions

We adopted a 4 month old Rotti/Lab mix on Dec 25th from a rescue place and named her Holly. She is very loving and playful, not to mention clumsy, specially when she plays with our Bichon.
    I took her to my vet and had her checked out on Dec 27th. Vet said she was 24 lbs and is very healthy and sees no problems. However, her stool is kind of soft and not firm. The rescue place had her on Pedigree so my vet suggested to change her diet. I weined her to Iams Puppy since my 8 yearl old Bichon is doing fine with their adult brand. It's been over two weeks or so since feeding her the Iams and her stool is still not firm but she weighs now 30 lbs so looks like she's going to be a big girl. I've been reading that corn used in the food could be the culprit, so can you folks give some ideas on what food to feed Holly to improve her poop quality?
    Last edited by ernbar64; 01-19-2013 at 10:24 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Has she had a stool sample checked recently?

I require that my puppy people feed ProPlan puppy (not the Shredded Blend). I like the stools I get on it and I like the nice even growth.

I guess it's called Focus now.
    Puppy Chicken and Rice - Dry Dog Food - FOCUS - Purina® Pro Plan®

Laura

ernbar64 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Has she had a stool sample checked recently?
    Yes, on Dec. 27th and on Jan. 4th when she had her shots. Both times stool samples were ok.
    Last edited by ernbar64; 01-19-2013 at 12:37 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ayr
    ayr is offline Junior Member

We feed our puppy 4health™ Puppy Formula. She has done really well on it. I did a little research on other brands and decided it was worth it to take monthly trips to tractor supply to get this brand. Her stools are not to soft, not to hard. Our puppy had a really hard start. She came to us really sick. She is a healthy, thriving 6.5 month old now

Quote Originally Posted by ernbar64 View Post
    Yes, on Dec. 27th and on Jan. 4th when she had her shots. Both times stool samples were ok.
    Ok, just checking. That's always the first thing you should do. I would just go ahead and switch foods then. Even though the older dog is doing well on the IAMS, it doesn't guarantee that the puppy will. Different dogs and all that.

Laura

I'm not a fan of Lamb & Rice foods for puppies. They tend to have a bit higher calcium and phosphorus ratio. In fact, I know of a Golden breeder who will nullify her guarantee if their puppy people feed a lamb based food. Just FFT.

Laura

ayr

So, chicken based only? We, personally, may change in the future, but do not want to change her yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ayr View Post
    So, chicken based only? We, personally, may change in the future, but do not want to change her yet.
    I always start with chicken since it's more digestible than lamb and like I said, the c/p ratios are usually more in line with what they should be. If the dog has issues with chicken, then and only then will I try lamb or other "off" protein sources. I try and keep things simple.

Laura

ayr

ah, gotcha. Makes sense. I'm a wee pit paranoid about changing our pups food. The odds always seem to be against her, so with it working..I don't want to tip the boat, so to speak. OP: Sorry to kind of hijack the thread with my ramblings *wink*

lokismomma is offline Senior Member

heh betcha can guess what I am gonna say lol Nutri-source large breed puppy. its chicken, not lamb, and is the only kibble my puppy gets. her stools look great, her coat is shiny....here i'll post the kibble info so you dont have to find a bag to see the labels..

Ingredients:

Chicken, chicken meal, brown rice, white rice, barley, oatmeal, beet pulp-dried, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), fish meal (a source of fish oil), natural turkey and chicken flavor, flax seeds, sunflower oil, dried egg product, dried brewers yeast, kelp meal, potassium chloride, salt, minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate, selenium yeast), DL Methionine, vitamins (vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), ascorbic acid (source of vitamin C), taurine, choline chloride, yucca schidigera extract, calcium iodate, rosemary extract, yeast culture (Saccharomyces cerevisiae), dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Aspergillus niger fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtillis fermentation product.

NutriSource® Large Breed Puppy Chicken and Rice Formula provides super premium nutrition in a scientifically formulated easy-to-digest food designed for puppies of breeds that will mature at more than 50 pounds. This is formulated to provide proper nutrition for balanced muscular and skeletal growth in large and giant breeds avoiding joint problems later in life. NutriSource® Large Breed Puppy contains specially adjusted levels of calcium and phosphorus matched with balanced protein, fat, carbohydrates and calories to supply large breed puppies the nutrition to grow and develop to fullest potential. Feed NutriSource® Large Breed Puppy food to your Large/Giant Breed Puppy from weaning until your dog reaches it's mature weight and size, typically at about 18 months of age. At maturity, we suggest transition to NutriSource® Adult or NutriSource® Large Breed Adult food.
    New and Improved - made with organic selenium and organic zinc - no wheat.
    Protein - 26%
    Fat - 14%
    Guaranteed Analysis:

US Metric
    Crude Protein (Min.) 26.0% 260 g/kg
    Crude Fat (Min.) 14.0% 140 g/kg
    Crude Fiber (Max.) 4.0% 40 g/kg
    Moisture (Max.) 10.0% 100 g/kg
    Selenium (Min.) 0.5 mg/kg 0.5 mg/kg
    Vitamin E (Min.) 175 IU/kg 175 IU/kg
    *Omega - 6 Fatty Acids (Min.) 2.9% 29 g/kg
    *Omega - 3 Fatty Acids (Min.) 0.50% 5 g/kg
    *Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) (Min.) 0.05% 0.5 g/kg
    *Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) (Min.) 100 mg/kg
    *Total Microorganisms (Min) 100 Million CFU/lb**
    Last edited by lokismomma; 01-19-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: my spelling is horrible before 3 cups of coffee

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast