Clearing of throat when removing from crate

Thread: Clearing of throat when removing from crate

jeepin74 is offline Junior Member

DefaultClearing of throat when removing from crate

My 6 month old lab, has this thing anytime he comes out of the crate where he spends 5-10 seconds clearing his throat and doesn't sound good to my ears. Called the vet and he think it could just be dryness. So I got a water bottle for his crate which he uses and a humidifier to take the dryness out of the air. But it continues. I took him to the vet yesterday and everything is, fine heart and lungs sound normal. He did test positive for Giardia which we are treating but the vet says thats unrelated. And just continue to use the bottle in the crate with the humidifier to see if it clears up. He's a very active and very playful dog and runs sprints in the yard without any issues. we make sure he has a constant bowl of water available and drinks plenty of water outside of the crate and has been drinking his water bottle in the crate. Any ideas of what else this throat clearing can be? Or am i just an over-reacting parent.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

My first inclination is kennel cough, but if the vet cleared him, I can't imagine what this could be. Is he coughing or does he sound like he is hacking something up? I didn't think dogs had the capacity to clear their throats.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

jeepin74 is offline Junior Member

More hacking than coughing....its not often it only happened once all day yesterday. Its only occurring maybe 2-3 a day. Do dogs get hairballs? He is pretty friendly and close to my cat and tend to play a game of tag with the cat, usually the cat wins. lol

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

It isn't normal for a dog to hack that often. My dog was hacking once every few days, sometimes not for a week or more, then one night hacked 10x in a row. While they said his lungs sounded fine I opted for xrays (he has a history of pneumonia) and sure enough - bronchial infection. Everything else was normal, temp, heart, etc. Just something to keep in mind.