Apples and potatos

Thread: Apples and potatos

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

DefaultApples and potatos

When I'm eating fruit, I usually give Jack a bite of whatever I'm eating. He loves everything but citrus. The other day however he was given a whole apple by a friend who was watching him while I was out. She said he ate the whole thing (core and all) and enjoyed it, but is this actually good for him? Also last fall, when the garden was at it's end, I had dug the potatos I grew and missed one that Jack dug up and ate. I caught him as he was finishing it off. Just wondering for a guideline.... is there too much of a good thing here? Like I said, I often give him pieces of apple or banana, even pair (I read grapes are a no-no, so he doesn't get them) and often when I'm peeling potatos, I give him a small piece but usually give him cooked veges (bite off my plate when I'm done) So...opinions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't do the raw potatoes. I also would limit the whole apples since apple seeds contain arsenic.

"Potato poisonings among people and dogs have occurred. Solanum alkaloids can be found in green sprouts and green (sunburned) potato skins, which occurs when the tubers are exposed to sunlight during growth or after harvest. The relatively rare occurrence of actual poisoning is due to several factors: solanine is poorly absorbed; it is mostly hydrolyzed into less toxic solanidinel; and the metabolites are quickly eliminated."

Laura

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

Thank you. The bites of apple I give him when I'm eating mine are peeled and (of course) cored and equals about 1 human bite maybe once a day. Any problem there? I would never give him a whole apple, I don't tie him or crate him and don't like to leave him alone so I had my friend stay here for a couple hours when I had to go out. All she had to do was watch TV....never thought I'd have to say "Oh, don't give the dog any apples" I always have a bowl of fruit on the counter and she said he was eying it....he probably thought it was a ball. Thanks for the advice, from now on, no bites of raw potato when Mom's making dinner.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

My boys love apples and I put pieces in their Kongs every day, but they are cored. I have had Champ steal sweet potatoes and eat them raw if they are left within his reach, but he doesn't touch the white potatoes.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy