ear problems
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ear problems

slmclean is offline Member

Defaultear problems

Doe's anyone else have problems with there dogs and there ears? Bella has had a ear problem for month's the vet gave me a wash to use and a ear ointment but she keeps getting a problem she scratches at the ear and shakes her head a lot and it smells sometimes, I keep taking her back to the vet but they check her out and say just keep using the stuff, she say's it is from her rolling around in the dirt but she only has problems with the ear, im getting so flustered about it any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

What kind of food are you feeding her? Many ear problems can be resolved if food alllergy issues are resolved. grains, and sometimes various proteins can be the culprit.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

she eats pedigree healthy weight.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Grains are the predominate ingredient in this food. Also, the predominent protein is an unspecifiied "poultry".

If it were me, and my dog, I would go to a grain free diet, and a specified protien source. google grain free dog food, and you will find a wealth of information.
    Last edited by Belles mom; 01-13-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

ok thanks.

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

I've always had to keep a close eye on my dog's ears. I don't believe (in her case) it has anything to do with diet......though she does have some allergies that I believe are environmental. Diet can be a cause too though. Actually with my dog it is 95% just one ear that acts up and for the most part as long as I use cleaner (prescribed by my Vet) at the first and slightest sign of irritation it is usually fine. Occasionally it really flares up and that requires a vet visit. I kind of wonder if one ear canal is different (narrower) than the other. Originally my vet did a culture to find out what the infection was.....so that he could use the appropriate treatment. How long have you been treating Bella with the ointment? I'm assuming it is an antibiotic ointment/drops of some sort?
    Last edited by Top Of The Hill; 01-14-2013 at 01:09 AM.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I think the first thing I would do is get a second opinion from a different vet. Sometimes dogs get yeast infections in their ears and they can be really smelly. Also, Belles Mom is right, food allergies can cause all sorts of ear problems. We changed Sophie to a grain free diet, and it has made a big difference. Her ears still get inflammed once in awhile if she gets them wet and we don't dry them out. If your dog is getting her ears wet, you need to dry the inside of them. Our vet has me keep gentamyacin ointment on hand for any flare ups. Also, some dogs are allergic to chicken. Try a different protein, and go grain free. Pedigree heavily advertises, but is actually a poor quality food. Also watch what you are giving her for snacks. Sophie had ear infections, one after another till we changed her diet. By the way, your girl and Sophie look enough alike to be sisters! She has white on her chest too!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Samson is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Top Of The Hill View Post
    I've always had to keep a close eye on my dog's ears. I don't believe (in her case) it has anything to do with diet......though she does have some allergies that I believe are environmental. Diet can be a cause too though. Actually with my dog it is 95% just one ear that acts up and for the most part as long as I use cleaner (prescribed by my Vet) at the first and slightest sign of irritation it is usually fine. Occasionally it really flares up and that requires a vet visit. I kind of wonder if one ear canal is different (narrower) than the other. Originally my vet did a culture to find out what the infection was.....so that he could use the appropriate treatment. How long have you been treating Bella with the ointment? I'm assuming it is an antibiotic ointment/drops of some sort?
    Same here with Jasper - just the one ear mostly. Again, at the first sign of a head shake, I actually put in in the ear cleaner ( Sancerum ) and then gently massage the ear to make sure that it is all covered with the cleaner. I also repeat the following day and that tends to kill the mites causing the irritation.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    Grains are the predominate ingredient in this food. Also, the predominent protein is an unspecifiied "poultry".

If it were me, and my dog, I would go to a grain free diet, and a specified protien source. google grain free dog food, and you will find a wealth of information.
    Great adivice! Just wanted to add that Caleb's ears got much better after switching to grain free (and in his case, beef free). He still got the occasional ear infection that the vet & I were chalking up to environmental allergies- until I switched his food again that happens to not have potatoes (I wasn't happy with the customer service of the other company). Guess what? Caleb's ears have been nice and pink with no redness or inflamation. The only infection he's had since the switch was when I let him have some vanilla ice cream.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I had the same problem with Frankie. It was just as you said, just one ear. I switched him to Natural Balance Sweet Potatoe and Venison - which is grain free - and he's been perfect ever since.

I really wish Vets would suggest this more often, rather than just "covering" the problem with an ear solution.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast