Bloat?

Thread: Bloat?

rugernmoesma is offline Member

QuestionBloat?

Can anyone explain to me how bloat happens?

We've always and only had labs. They have all loved thier food and woofed it down in what has always seemed like seconds....probably more like a minute but surely Never more than two minutes. My older boys have always had drinking water left down to access whenever they wanted it. And because neither of the boys have ever been super active they never had any major exercise right after meals....so I have never worried to much about bloat or at least what I thought bloat was caused by, but maybe I don't really understand.

Anyways, now we have Nala who is about 12 1/2 weeks now. She like the others, takes no breaths while eating-its gone lickety split. But, she doesn't usually drink before or after she eats like that and we keep a pretty good eye on her when she is drinking water so she doesnt have any accidents. My concern for her is she is very excitable usually after she eats and wants to play....I am so worried she will get bloat so I have become a worrywort and now find myself even limiting her play with our other dog for about 1/2 after she eats.

So do I understand how bloat happens correctly?
    Kim~

Nicki July 1993-July 2, 2004
    Ruger June 10,2004-October 24, 2012
    Mocha November 11, 2004-
    Nala October 13, 2012-

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Read the info in this sticky

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...bloat-gdv.html

If she wants to play immediately after eating, I would not engage her. Instead give her a chew toy to work on, or you can try feeding her via a Kong... stuff her kibble in there with a bit of peanut butter etc, it tires them out. I do not exercise (regular walks ok) my dog an hour before or after he eats, and do not let him gulp a whole bowl of water, etc.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Personally, I crate my young dogs as they eat and for an our or so after they eat. My older dogs just chill out after eating anyway.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom View Post
    Personally, I crate my young dogs as they eat and for an our or so after they eat. My older dogs just chill out after eating anyway.
    That's a smart idea for the pups.

kromulok is offline Senior Member

oh the dreaded bloat... i have had some experience with it when Jax was 12 to 13 weeks old. It was not fun. While I cannot answer you with the exact reason it happens, you can find some tips from what I discovered when he had it... twice. The second time was obviously because he buried his head into the dog food bag. The first time I'm not really sure other than maybe because he had the parasite and wasn't defacating. Either way, we have not had this issue again and I learned some lessons on the entire situation. The brake fast bowl was (imo) the biggest help. We only recently put him back to a normal bowl (he is almost 1 year old now). The other thing I found helpful was putting water on his kibble as well. Oh and air tight sealable container for the food for those just in case he gets into that room instances is useful. Read my thread and see the xrays and pictures of his bloat.

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...y-weekend.html