Water Consumption in puppy

Thread: Water Consumption in puppy

Maddenap is offline Junior Member

DefaultWater Consumption in puppy

Hi all,

I've noticed that my lab, Harley, will drink his entire bowl of water in one sitting. He will do this at least twice a day, and then not have water in between (i.e. he's not always thirsty); basically, it appears he gets his full day water consumption in two or three sittings. We limit his water after 7pm, but I do not during the day. In the morning, his poop is near perfect (i.e. nicely formed), but by late afternoon (after he's had a few quick water consumptions) it begins to turn more liquid; however, not as liquid as it used to be (that was diet related). Of course, he then needs to pee a lot (today he couldn't make it and peed on me). I asked the vet today if that quick consumption could be causing the loose stools, but she said no. I am not sure I agree with her (though my opinion is not based on medicine, just observation). Anyone else have a lab that does/did this?

Tomorrow I am going to "limit" his water. I say "limit" because he will just get smaller portions, so he doesn't drink as much in such a little time, but still get what he is required, and see if that helps.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

How old is this puppy and how big is the bowl? I would not limit the amount of water you put down for him. Obsessively consuming water and peeing a lot is a diabetes symptom, but many Labs simply are big drinkers.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

HK always has water available.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Maddenap is offline Junior Member

He's 10 weeks old on Saturday; and the bowl is about 2 cups. Furthermore, I would not call it obsessively consuming water -- he only drinks a few times a day. I grew up with a bichon that had diabetes (and my parents have another bichon with diabetes now), and she would drink a lot and constantly and cry for more water, which is what I would call obsessively, before being diagnosed and placed on treatment. Right now, his bowl has water in it, but he just ignored it after his dinner.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maddenap View Post
    He's 10 weeks old on Saturday; and the bowl is about 2 cups. Furthermore, I would not call it obsessively consuming water -- he only drinks a few times a day. I grew up with a bichon that had diabetes (and my parents have another bichon with diabetes now), and she would drink a lot and constantly and cry for more water, which is what I would call obsessively, before being diagnosed and placed on treatment. Right now, his bowl has water in it, but he just ignored it after his dinner.
    Then I would just call it his habit.

One of mine only drinks a few times a day but drinks a lot at each visit to the bowl And my other one is diabetic but drinks normally (probably 1/2 cup of liquid at a time throughout the day).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Erendui is offline Senior Member

Mine occasionally gulps all his down in one go, it doesn't seem to have any particular pattern. Some days he just wanders over and has a couple of laps, others he ignores it for half the day then suddenly decides that he wants a whole bowl!