Question about feeding my new pup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about feeding my new pup

BigP0314 is offline Junior Member

DefaultQuestion about feeding my new pup

I have an 8.5 week yellow lab puppy and the food we got from his breeder wasn't the best quality so I have started switching him onto something better. My question is about the type of food I am feeding and how much. I tried getting orijen puppy or large breed puppy but they didn't have the small bag and I didn't wanna buy the big bag and have my pup not do well on it then get stuck with 28 pounds pf unised kibble not to mention 80€ down the drain. The guy said acana all life stages would work for him as well so i got a smaller bag of the wild prarie regional blend. however, 'm still not sure how much I should be feeding the puppy per day or if it is actually okay for him or should I switch him to a puppy blend? What is everyone thoughts? Keep in mind I live in Italy and Origen and acana are the only good brands Incan find locally. If any online stores ship thier food b USPS let me know also because I could get a wider range of selections at a far better price!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I would have kept the puppy on the same food for a few weeks to not upset their stomach when they are just getting home. if you trusted the breeder to care fro the mother and have her healthy thru pregnancy and while she fed the pups then as he fed the pups for the first few weeks on hard food, what's another few weeks on that food?

Did you discuss with the breeder WHY they picked that food? Maybe they have had good experiences with the food and their dogs.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

It was his first time breeding his female and he was a private seller. The food he was using a was some form of purina. He was well intentioned enough and he did feed the mother the same kind of food only the adult version. My last lab had health problems due to poor food as a puppy and I wanted to make sure I started this or out very healthy. The puppy likes the new food and his poo's are solid and pretty regular so there are not any accidents of that variety but I want to make sure it is okay for puppies and how much should I actually be feeding him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nutshell is offline Member

I have used Wild Prarie from 10 weeks old. Rocco is now 6 months and he loves it. Its an "All Life Stages" food with the proper calcium/phosphorus ratio for a growing pup. The protein in Orijen pouppy was a little too high for him and gave Rocco the runs. We switched to Acana and things have been perfect.

Acana seems great right now and your posts about the runs is why I wouldn't buy the big bag of orijen but I'm still no sure how much I should be feeding of the acana. He seems like is always starving and when I picked him up he was a little under wheight due to the breeder mis readingthenlabel of the food he was using and not feeding the pups enough but he has put on right around 2.3 pounds in one week. But I'm not sure if I should follow the feeding guidelines because puppies seem to need more than what it is recommending for his current weight.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I guess I don't understand why you would want a dog from a breeder where you don't trust their judgement on the quality of food?

justine is offline Senior Member

Purina is not a bad food for many dogs (unlike what many of the food rating website states). I suggest you continue on the puppy food the breeder was feeding at least for the time being.

Nutshell is offline Member

I started with 3/4 cup, 3 times a day, at 4 months we moved to 1 cup 3 times a day. I still feed 3 cups a day but now he only gets fed twice, 1-1/2 cup in the morning 1-1/2 cup at night. Keep in mind, I made the switch when I brough him home because he refused to eat what the breeder sent him home on (Life's Abundance). My breeder told me don't sweat it and just to feed him a quality food...so I did. She put it to me this way, "if you can buy it at your local supermarket, you probably don't want to feed it to your puppy". That being said, lots of owners here have beautiful, healthy and happy dogs that thrive on Purina foods. It's all in what works for your dog. Acana was the choice for me and it has worked fantastic.

Thanks that seems like a more reasonable amount! The feeding guide says 1 cup per day for his current weight but I just don't think that's enough for my little guy!

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigP0314 View Post
    I have an 8.5 week yellow lab puppy and the food we got from his breeder wasn't the best quality so I have started switching him onto something better.
    You would have nullified your warranty/guarantee with me. I require my puppy owners feed what I tell them to feed until the dog is full grown. I know how a certain food works with my dogs and that's why I feed it. Once the dog is 2 they can feed the dog whatever they want.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast