newly adopted 9 year old lab, is he underweight?

Thread: newly adopted 9 year old lab, is he underweight?

anglerkylie is offline Junior Member

Defaultnewly adopted 9 year old lab, is he underweight?

Hello lab lovers!

My fiance and I have rescued a nine year old lab last month. He was quite underweight, has since gained quite a bit of weight but I'm unsure if he is still on the thin side or if he's just old and his skin is saggy and weighed down and maybe trays why sometimes he looks bony.
    He had been a loved family pet for about 2 years as a pup and when the novelty ran off they stuck him outside, underused him, no love or attention except what the kids could give him between school friends homework etc. His nails were (and still are a bit) unbelievably long. He was left outdoor with his leaky dog house for about 7 years, until he came to us.

How we found him, was we have a hobby farm in which we rescue battery hens and abused or neglected chickens and other backyard farm birds!
    We were told about 35 neglected chickens at a private residence, the owner was moving and planned to leave them to their fate whatever that might be. When we arrived it was dark out and a smiley faced what I thought was a golden retriever greeted us barking, along with about 6-10 hungry kittens. They all looked thin and uncared for. The man comes out to show us the birds and see us petting the dog and cats he immediately asks me if I'd like a kitten and I said I wish I could but I have three indoors myself along with a indoor outdoor kitten we found cuddled in a nesting box with a chicken one morning (she never left and eventually became part of the family). Anyway we did what we were there to do and left. At home I expressed I felt horrible for that dog, my fiance mentioned he had asked if we wanted him.
    We ended up driving back there an hour later to talk to him about the dog, we talked to the guy, he said we could have him but not that day because their children love him, so we exchanged numbers and we fed the dog and kittens and left.
    Two or three weeks later we were to pick up Bailey.
    When I saw him it was now light out and I saw he was a yellow lab not a golden he just had a thick coat due to being outside I'm sure.
    Anyway that's how we got our Bailey. He's one if the most amazing dogs I have owned, we love him dearly and we think he likes us too . We hope to have as many years with him as possible, but at the very least hope to give him a loving home for the last years of his life. He's very well trained which was a complete surprise. He hasn't had a single accident, I thought maybe since he was an outdoor dog all he knows is to go outside.

So he's some pictures of our boy. Do you think he still needs to gain a few pounds?

Look forward to making some great forum friends on here!

Kylie, Bailey and Noel (toy poodle mix)
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

My boy is ten + and I would say that yours is very similar bodily.

Less weight on an older Labrador's legs is better than too much !

Thank you for your reply!
    Yes I don't want to make him overweight, as an older lab he already has arthritis. Luckily there is only two stairs he has to deal with here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

He is gorgeous. Thank you for rescuing that poor boy. He looks fabulous. I have only had rescues and the one on the right of my pics I rescued when he was 11. He was totally neglected to the point my vet thought I was crazy to adopt him. He was my shadow and I still miss him. He died last February of cancer and I hope I gave him 2 1/2 years of all the love he needed.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

What a heartwarming story! Thank You. I'm going to guess that being an indoor, family pet with you, he's naturally going to put on a little more so I certainly wouldn't try to put more weight on him.

SweetShelby is offline Senior Member

How admirable of the both of you to give a great life to a poor neglected dog and the kitten and chickens too. Stories like yours give me hope for humanity because I know there's such good people like you in this world. God Bless you.

As for the creep who treated them inhumanely, I think he should be sent to jail and never, ever be allowed to own a pet again!

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

He looks a little on the thin side to me - maybe 5# more on him would be good. That's a pretty significant tuck in at his waist and I think that minus that heavy coat we'd seeing some of his ribs.

Thanks for (literally) rescuing him. He's a very lucky dog!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thanks for all the lovely replies!
    Since Bailey joined our family we both have said we now get those people and families who always have lab's.
    I've always Been a general dog lover, there's many breeds I love and someday hope to own!
    Bailey has definitely given us the lab fever and I'm now a lifelong lab lover!

Does anyone have a good food suggestion? Is there something which Bailey and our 4 yo toy poodle x could both eat? Or should he be on senior? He's started a joint supplement a week and and a half ago. We aren't wealthy but understand the importance of healthy eating for both us and our furballs!! So something that is healthy and great for the dogs as well as not the most expensive that's breaking a hole in our pockets.

Thanks again!

So sorry about your shadow.
    I've been crying my eyes out reading some of the heart wrenching stories on here the past week.
    I don't want to think about losing Bailey anytime soon!
    My fiances best friend has a golden x lab and he's 19 years old so even though I know it's extremely unlikely sometimes ihope Bailey lives to be that old!!!

mrogers is offline Senior Member

We rescued an older lab a few months ago and cannot figure out how her family ever could let her go! She is absolutely the sweetest, most loving girl... we don't know how long we will have her either but she has already won our hearts.
    We are feeding NutriSource Lamb and Rice which is a high quality food at a reasonable price. It can be difficult to find, and not sure it is available in your area.
    Others may have other foods they recommend that are easier to find.
    Your dog looks so much like our sweet (deceased) Max, so glad you are giving Bailey the loving home that he deserves!!!