8 month old eating habit change

Thread: 8 month old eating habit change

JB800 is offline Junior Member

Default8 month old eating habit change

I have an 8 month old that has changed her eating habits over the last 2 to 3 weeks. We feed her 3 time a day. She would eat it all within minutes after it was put out. Then just a couple of weeks ago she just stopped eating for about 2 days. Now she barely eats 2 meals a day. Not sure what's going on. Just looking for your thoughts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

How much are you feeding? As they get older, you need to cut back on the food as their growth stabilizes.

Laura

JB800 is offline Junior Member

Feeding about 2 cups three times a day. Now she won't eat but about 2 1/2 cups over the whole day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

I would say that at 8 months then three cups a day are fine and just monitor her weight !
    Last edited by Samson; 01-06-2013 at 02:53 PM.

labby is offline Senior Member

What Colin said. If she wants to eat 2½ cups a day, then that's what you should try feeding her. Keep an eye on her weight. If she starts to get thin, then up it to maybe 3 cups per day. My adult females get 2 to 2½ cups per day and my males maybe 3.

Laura

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I can tell you my pup did the same thing at about the same age and I never did figure out exactly why. I couldn't decide if it was the food going bad/stale, him getting picky, or just an odd stage. In any case, although it drove me mad, he never did starve to death and he went in and out of those not eating as well stages for a while.
    He's still not your typical food-crazy lab (not a bad thing), but he's much more reliable in all things as he's gotten older and I've found a food that seems to work well for him.

As long as your girl isn't getting too skinny and doesn't seem otherwise unwell, cut back on the portions and see how she does. At 8 months I think 2 feedings a day rather than 3 is fine and she just may not need as much now as she did before.

Good luck

Nutshell is offline Member

I feed Rocco 3 cups per day. 1.5 in the morning and 1.5 at night. He wolfs it down in about 1:10...I timed it.

zonapups is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JB800 View Post
    Feeding about 2 cups three times a day. Now she won't eat but about 2 1/2 cups over the whole day.
    I read this and it sounds like you are feeding 6 cups? I could be wrong. My two are 8.5 months old and we feed 4 cups to my girl and 4.5 cups to my boy PER DAY over two meals. My boy Leo went through a phase like this two weeks before Christmas where he wouldn't eat much...just a few nibbles from each bowl. He is fine now but he had us worried. After about 2 weeks he was back to his old self and a few pounds bigger to boot!

I wouldn't worry too much unless she stops eating and drinking anything or gets to be pretty skinny (like ribs excessively showing). Just try and offer her two meals a day of about 2.5 - 3 cups (total for the day). Give her extra time to eat and if she doesn't eat all of it don't push it. Sounds like she is just self-regulating her diet or getting ready to go through another growth spurt.

I am waiting for the day I can start cutting back my two's food intake. I swear they are eating me into the poor house and are exhausting to keep up with!

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)