Where do you store the kibble? Do you leave it in the bag or dump it in one of those plastic storage containers designed to hold pet food? The kibble I've been feeding has a zip-lock to keep the kibble fresh after opening so I just leave that in the bag. If there isn't a zip-lock I've dumped it in the container but I do save the bag for future reference. I read on another forum that the pet food storage containers could contribute to the kibble spoiling because of all of the "dead air space". I don't understand this. Has anyone heard this before?
Plastic storage container here. It stays in there for maybe three weeks ?
Leave in the bag and I put it in a plastic garbage can. If you don't have the bag and there is a recall or something wrong with the food, you don't have the lot numbers to compare or report. Plus, plastic can have microscopic scratches where bacteria can hide and contaminate the food. So leave it in the bag.
♣ Laura ♣
When left exposed to air, dog food kibble will go stale over time just as cookies and crackers for humans will -- for exactly the same reasons.
For many Labs, gluttons to their souls, this will make little difference.
For my Puff, one of the 10% of Labs that is not a glutton and my only dog, that makes a big difference. For the other 90% and multi-dog households, it may make none.
I tried various plastic tubs, etc., and, although some methods did prolong the kibble freshness somewhat, none were completely satisfactory to Puff (the consumer & taste judge) and therefore not to me (the buyer).
When she'd sniff at her evening meal and walk away, that gave me a clear indication it was not as inviting as it should be. (I buy her food in 40 lb. bags at Costco, their Kirkland house brand; the food from a newly opened bag was always attractive to her at meal time but, after being opened for several weeks (and especially months), it always grew less and less attractive regardless of which method--except one--that I used to preserve its freshness.)
The one method that does work well for us is that as soon as I open a fresh bag, I immediately transfer its contents into 10-11 one gallon *Zip-Loc plastic freezer bags and seal them. (I also suck excess air from each bag just before sealing it). Then I store these bags back in the 40 lb. paper bag, taking one out as needed, resealing it after each use.
That's worked well for us for 10 years; no complaints from Puff.
* Freezer Bags - Ziploc® Brand Freezer Bags
Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]
Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
Ours is kept in the bag & stored in a plastic dog food container.
I also use a airtight container but the opening isn't big enough to fit the whole bag in when its full so I have always just poured the food in there. Other then cleaning it periodically I do nothing else and have had the same one for over 7yrs with no problems. Food seem's to stay fresh and Sammi never complains from the first kibble to the last. Both our kids do the same and also have had no problems.
I feed Earthborn which comes in a plastic bag. I leave it in the bag which has a zip lock top. I buy the 15 pound bag cause I can no longer carry the 30 pound bag so I don't worry about it going rancid.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi
There are several large, air tight, resealable air tight plastic containers for storing kibble in. Another key is to always keep the container itself clean to protect the food from germs.
Iris Pet Food Storage Container Holds Up To 50 Pounds of Pet Food!
Would you like to buy a vowel ?