Ovarian Remnant Syndrome & Pyometra Questions. Help Please!

Thread: Ovarian Remnant Syndrome & Pyometra Questions. Help Please!

tandv07 is offline Junior Member

DefaultOvarian Remnant Syndrome & Pyometra Questions. Help Please!

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and was hoping for some input on ovarian remnant syndrome. I have a chocolate lab, Karma, who will be 2 years old in March. I had her spayed when she was 6 months old at a spay/neuter clinic. She went into heat 2 months ago and after 2 vaginal cytologies and blood work, the diagnosis came out to be ovarian remnant syndrome.

I asked how common the complications are if left untreated. They told me Karma would be fine until her next heat cycle, but she would need surgery by the time her next heat cycle came in order to remove the remaining tissue. However, she has been excreting watery discharge that has a strong, fishy odor, licks her bottom more than usual, a decreased appetite, and has been sleeping almost all day. Since it's been cold, I have kept her inside. This is the first lab I've ever had and I heard they don't really calm down until they are about 3 years old, so I don't know if I should be thankful or worried. My next step is to take her temperature to see if she's running a fever.

My heart is telling me that I should take her to the vet, but I'm a full time nursing student with very little means to pay at the moment. I know there are complications such as pyometra and other infections, so I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with this. I need all the advice I can get. Karma is like a child to me and I can't stand the thought of her being sick or in pain.

Thanks so much!!!

IMAG0107.jpg
    Last edited by tandv07; 01-01-2013 at 06:25 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I always say trust your gut. We can't see the dog so I'd hate to advise you to not trust your gut and then have something happen.

What color is the discharge? If it's pinkish/light reddish, it's prolly normal menstrual discharge. Bitches can smell a bit fishy when they're in season. I WOULD take her temperature on a regular basis. I had a bitch with pyometra after she whelped a litter and her temp spiked suddenly and it became a real emergency. If she's in season, then if you notice a tomato soup kinda discharge, then that could be pyo.

When you say licking her butt, do you mean her vulva? This too is normal for a bitch in season.

Leaving a bit of the stump or tissue doesn't happen often but it does happen, unfortunately. Again, trust your gut since you know your dog better than anyone.

Laura

tandv07 is offline Junior Member

Thank you for your advice, her discharge is clear and watery. It appears she's licking her vulva. However, the vet told me her estrus cycle would be over within two weeks, and this was in November.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

then I would have a recheck. estrus cycles last 3 weeks.

Laura