How to make my 10 month old lab lose some weight! How much food should I feed a puppy

Thread: How to make my 10 month old lab lose some weight! How much food should I feed a puppy

mlfawcett is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow to make my 10 month old lab lose some weight! How much food should I feed a puppy

Hi my 10 month old lab is currently 54 pounds. My vet says she needs to lose a few pounds. I have cut her food back and increased her exercise a bunch but she is not losing any weight. She is currently on Innova Large Breed Puppy Food and she has 2 cups a day. Is that to much food? The bag tells me to feed her way more then 2 cups so I am not sure what the right amount is. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Could you post a picture? You should be able to feel her ribs, but not really see them. 54 lbs is not a lot for a 10 month old. I was feeding about a cup (at least) more a day than you are. Could be she just needs more exercise. Is your vet a reputable one? Sophie was 55 lbs at about 6 or 7 months and is 71 lbs now. She has never been over weight. If she doesn't look over weight, perhaps you need a second opinion.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

mlfawcett is offline Junior Member

I will post a picture soon. But you can't feel her ribs at all. She doesn't look overweight but when you touch her sides she feels soft and thick. The vet said I should be able to easily feel her last two ribs..... Which I can't right now unless I press really hard.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

You should be able to feel her ribs. Try more exercise. Also check the calorie counts etc on the food.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I would think that if you could maintain her current weight for a month or two, you'd notice she's slimmer. She's still growing a little bit and you could let her grow out of her chunkiness. That's a little easier on both of you than actually dieting.

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

I'm not really familiar with Innova, but 2 cups a day (to me) sure doesn't sound like over feeding. 54 pounds doesn't sound heavy either, but of course that depends on the build and size of your dog.... as labs vary so much. Are you feeding her anything else that might be causing weight gain......treats, leftovers etc. If you can post a photo (as someone else mentioned) it would be helpful, but my understanding is that ribs shouldn't be visible, but you should be able to feel them easily. I try to keep my dog a little on the lean side (not as easy as they get older) as her hips are not great. She's sure not thin, but I can still see those last two ribs at times and a waist line when I look at her from above.

miss34 is offline Junior Member

Really watch her treat intake - it's easy to overfeed with treats! Also, add in the extra exercise - remember that she's a growing pup, so adding in the extra exercise, and keeping her food at 2 cups a day should be sufficient. You won't see it come off really quickly, but slower is always healthier anyways. You're right for trying to get that extra weight off if you can't feel her ribs, especially at that age. Good job, you'll see results soon!

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Photos would help, but vets notoriously want folks with labs to drop a few pounds off them....ALL THE TIME. So depending on the breeding of the pup, 54# could be perfect for her, and an ill-informed vet could have you dropping her weight for nothing. Can you call your breeder and have them give her a look over???