flakey skin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flakey skin

judiz is offline Senior Member

Defaultflakey skin

Noticed a few weeks ago that Hamilton has what looks like a bad case of dandruff. I've been brushing him daily and spraying him with an oatmeal based conditioner. I'm also adding Omega 3 to his diet. Some days the dandruff looks better but if I miss one day of the grooming and spraying, it returns. Am I doing the right things or should I be doing something else? Hamilton does have a vet appointment in January.
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Is he shedding? It's very common in the winter for some dogs. Usually it's the furnace. I wouldn't spray him since that could actually make it worse.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Is he shedding? It's very common in the winter for some dogs. Usually it's the furnace. I wouldn't spray him since that could actually make it worse.
    He's always shedding!! I'm always finding fur on the floor and couches, been that way since the day we rescued him. I can stop the spray if you feel it's not helpful but will continue with the brushings to stimulate his natural oils. Coat is shiny and doesn't feel dry, just the dandruff is bothering me more than him. He doesn't drink a lot of water which is also a problem. Water is always available but he only drinks alittle when he comes in from a run and hardly any during the day. Don't know if there is any way to encourage a dog to drink.
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You might try a humidifier in the house. He is probably dry from the central heat. (which Laura said)
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

We have a humidifier

Erendui is offline Senior Member

Mine got dandruff when his puppy fur was shedding... Grooming regularly seemed to sort it out, but he does have the odd flake here and there most of the time!

I guess I'll let the vet look at it when we go, in the meantime i'm going to keep up with the daily brushings and omega 3 in the food.

lokismomma is offline Senior Member

just a possibility here...what does he eat? an allergy to corn is quite common in dogs, and a mild allergic reaction usually shows symptoms of dandruff and hair loss, with moderate reactions including scratching frequently. most kibble has corn as their main ingredient, even the more pricey brands.....check the label...you could try switching him to a corn free kibble like nutri-source, call of the wild, blue buffalo, diamond..ect....seeing as dogs dont digest corn anyways, he would be getting more of that he actually needs and can digest.

2Labdad is offline Junior Member

My Lexi used to be like that until I started her on fish oil and salmon oil. Now she is flake free.

mrogers is offline Senior Member

our rescue lab has this problem, too, totally covered with dander. I took her to have her bathed and they used a leave in conditioner on her to help her skin. She was totally clear of dander and smooth and shiny, then I took her to the vet for a vaccination and the dander was suddenly all over her coat. I would brush if off and then it would be covered again. So, I wonder if it can also be a nervous thing? I wiped her down when we got home, and she is clear of dander again.... so weird!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast