Smelly Farts

Thread: Smelly Farts

Erendui is offline Senior Member

DefaultSmelly Farts

Bilbo's farts have always smelled bad, but then when I left him with my mum whilst going to the cinema, I came back and she said she had never smelled anything so bad and did he have some sort of bowel problem...?

Are smelly farts indicative of any underlying health issues, or are they just smelly farts?

His poo tends to be more solid after he's eaten, then sometimes more sloppy as the day goes on? This is a more recent development, but nothing I've been too worried about.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

In my experience with my dogs, they fart in direct relation to the kind of things they have eaten. Mine can't have venison treats as the farts they produce are really toxic. Mine never really fart otherwise - it's not something that is to be expected as a normal event with a Lab, IMO.

If your dog has an ongoing problem with smelly gas, he may not be tolerating what you are feeding him very well.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

He only seems to fart when he's asleep (like right now, urgh!). I guess it looks like it is the food then , I should start looking into what food to switch him to before this current bag runs out... I've found something called 'Eden Multi-Meat and Fish Formula' which is supposedly the top recommended food for dogs in the UK. I do feed him high quality stuff, with turkey and rice as the main ingredients, but he's had bad farts as long as I can remember.

Does anyone have any tips with 'playing the food game'?

He came home with purina puppy formula, but he seemed to have bad allergies and our local stockist didn't have that brand. I chose "Latham's", which is a UK brand and high quality which contains beet. His allergies seem fine on that, but his farts haven't improved, and his poos aren't consistently great (something I might visit the vets about in the new year). His fur is absolutely great and his eyes are bright

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

He may do fine on your food plus a probiotic. I don't know a heck of a lot about them as I don't use them, but some people do give them to their dogs.

Or - there may be one ingredient (protein or carb) that your dog is sensitive to. You might want to try the same brand with a different protein to start.

Like I said - my dogs can't tolerate venison - so I would never feed a food with that as the protein. It could be a simple fix for you.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

High Quality doesn't mean that your dog will do well on it.

Look at things like treats etc. We gave ours a soft Jerky treat that was supposedly awesome, but it made them fart all the time. Stopped giving them, the gas stopped.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

If Ernie has eaten something he shouldn't that is our first sign to be careful. If I put my ear to his tummy you can hear his gut gurgling.

I would talk to your vet as they know you and the dog.

To start the food game my vet always recommends a hydrolyzed food that is for allergies or gut. Do not give anything else when you are doing a food trial. Not one crumb.Then you know if it is the food.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

It sounds like a dietary issue to me. Sophie never farts, but my son's boxer sure does! She eats Sophie's food when she's here, but a different food (cheaper) at the in-laws...she is basically an eating machine! She will eat anything! WE all pay for her munchies, cuz she farts like a steam shovel! I would think a good quality food would be my first thing to do. Especially since the poops consistency is often thin...
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

I think I'll just have to go to the vet then... he can also make sure it's nothing too serious and I can show him the food I'm thinking of giving Bilbo. With regards to treats, he very rarely gets them tbh, we're trying our best to give him praise reward unless he's got to learn something very serious e.g. recall or if I'm teaching him a new trick! Also in part because I've noticed he gets runny poos if he gets more than a couple (although the treats are also supposed to be 'healthy', ha!). Thanks for your advice! Looks like new year = new food :P

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

We blame it on the dog too!
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Lilprincee View Post
    We blame it on the dog too!
    Shh! Everyone will know my little secret