Lab Stamina

Thread: Lab Stamina

Renzo is offline Junior Member

DefaultLab Stamina

I have a 8 mo. old lab and since he was a baby he has been kind of lazy. We live i Florida and he came home in May so the heat was a factor that he hates. Now he is older and he still looks like he does not have the stamina that I have heard about labs. If you take him for a vigorous walk, after a while he just lay down and you have to fight with him to make him walk again. When we are playing ball fetch with him he does a few vigorous run and then he looses interest and stop chasing the ball, and sometimes he lays down panting for over 10 to 15 minutes. Is that OK? I want him to be more active and run and walk more but I am afraid of doing it. Is he still too young for that? when can I start doing rigorous and more vigorous exercise? BTW he was neutered recently and all his pre-surgery exams came out perfect.

Thank you.

Alfredo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

8 months is still a puppy. You should not be pushing a puppy. He's still growing and pushing him could cause damage to his joints and muscles. Once he's full grown (18 months), you can start building him up. Just like in humans, you need interval training to build up. It takes MONTHS; it doesn't happen overnight and doing it wrong can do more harm than good.

Laura

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

What Labby Laura said. You may end up regretting the lack of stamina though. LOL. When Nellie was about 2 years old we would walk the C&O Canal in Maryland. We went 10 miles. She probably did 20 with all the running and swimming. We would drive home with her napping in the car and be ready to go again. LOL I could not keep up with her.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I'm in Florida too and the summers are brutal, but I would have thought he would have picked up at least a little energy in the cooler periods.
    Do you have him on monthly flea/tick/heartworm preventative? We need it pretty much year round here.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Let your dog be your guide. If at this age he does not want to frolick, don't push him. Are you wanting a pet dog or a hunting dog?

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

smokey is offline Senior Member

Dare I say I envy you a little? Mine has two speeds: 100 MPH and sleep. He is almost 8 months and is in a bit of a "rebelious stage" and he seems to be testing his limits constantly lately...no time to take your eyes off of him and if he doesn't get his exercise he is not a good boy!
    Smokey 4/25/2012