Scooting question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scooting question

Nancyann is offline Junior Member

DefaultScooting question

Haylee, 10 yr. old chocolate lab, has always had to have her anals expressed about every 3 wks. Recently, she has continued to scoot even after having them expressed. We have had her checked and there is no infection. It seems her backside just itches. I cleaned the area today and really looked for anything red or irritated and saw nothing. Her skin appeared dry so I rubbed some moisturizing oil on her skin.

Does anyone have any idea why she might be doing this? I am stumped. We will be walking along and then she just drops her butt to the ground and scoots. She will do it on grass or concrete. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Does she have solid poops? Diesel does but despite that still has to get his anals expressed every 12 wks or so, sometimes he can go longer. My vet has said that some dogs just need the extra help.

It could just be the itchies. For dogs that have this issue my vet told me the skin around their anus gets irritated and it causes them to scoot just trying to make contact with the area on some surface, the scoot along concrete always makes me cringe! We got a fungicide gel that seemed to work for Diesel. If you don't want to get that via the vet, I would just use a natural oil like coconut or olive, or even vegetable oil, do not use moisturizing lotion or anything made for humans as something could irritate her or she could lick it off & get sick.

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

Have you had his poop checked for worms?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultThanks!

Thanks so much for your responses. She has been checked for worms and her poop is solid. I am guessing the itchies. There is no infection or smell and she is acting fine. I did use coconut oil on the skin so I will keep that up and see if it helps. What is the name of the fungicide that was mentioned?

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Tessa has allergies with yeast infections and scoots and licks. It must be so horrible to want to scoot on concrete.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Thanks again for all the feedback and advice. Haylee is walking around smelling like a pina colada with coconut oil covering her backside. She seemed to enjoy when I was rubbing it on her -- must have felt nice. The things we do to keep our dogs comfortable. Yes, scooting on concrete makes me cringe and I cannot image that helps if it is already irritated in some way. We have had the area medically checked out numerous times and nothing is found. So, I am hoping the coconut oil will soothe the area. I'll keep y'all updated on project scoot

I don't recall the name of the gel we got, but that was before I discovered coconut oil anyways. I would opt for the natural lubricant than a medicated one. I hope she gets some relief soon!

justine is offline Senior Member

Hmm.. you could try adding some fiber to the diet (which sometimes helps clear out their anal glands) but it sounds like you are on the right track. If you'd be interested in it, I know some people feed Metamucil or something similar to their pups.. I would just call the vet and ask for a proper dosage. It wouldn't hurt to try it!

bett is offline Senior Member

have you tried adding some metamucil to the food.?

If her poops are already firm I wouldn't add fiber/metamucil to her diet. My vet told me to and it went the other way even with their advice on dosage/proper water consumption, so lack of fiber was not Diesel's problem. Ruling out worms & soft serve poop as the cause for needing the expressions results in the fact that some dogs just have this problem & need the extra help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast