Do you have pet health insurance? What exactly does it cover?

Thread: Do you have pet health insurance? What exactly does it cover?

Jilian is offline Senior Member

DefaultDo you have pet health insurance? What exactly does it cover?

I'm looking into getting health insurance for our lab. He's almost 3 and we rescued him a few months ago. Yesterday we had to euthanize our beloved cat because he was not recovering from a urinary crystal and it really hit us hard. We spent quite a large amount trying to save him and it made me realize that we should probably get insurance on Flynn in case an emergency arises with him.

I've heard that what is covered by pet insurance varies greatly. Do any cover ACL repairs or other expensive things like that? We have an emergency fund for things that are a few thousand or less but we certainly don't have several thousand available so we're looking to come up with a backup plan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I was thinking of pet insurance too, but ended up getting a Care Credit card. It can be used at vets, dentists and can be used to pay for things your health insurance won't pay for. You go to CareCredit® Healthcare Finance - Payment Plans and Financing for Cosmetic Surgery, Dental, Vision, Hearing, Veterinary & Other Medical Procedures and apply. you get an instant answer, and even a temporary card to use immediatly if you need to. I have only had to use it once, and have paid it off. I keep it for Sophie's emergencies.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

my2labs is offline Senior Member

I have Trupanion insurance on Mo. It is $40.00 a month with a $100 deductible. It has all the basics with emergency care and medication coverage. I could get ACL and hip displasia coverage for $5.00 more a month with the optional benefits package. Haven't had to use it yet but will be glad when I need it and it's there.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

We have Embrace Insurance for the 3 labs. We chose Embrace because we could customize plans, deductibles etc. to suit our budget. They cover just about everything but some things (like knee surgery) have a waiting period and/or a special exam. When Gabe had his vaccination reaction a little while ago, they covered everything except the prescription take home meds (because we chose not to have that in the plan.). They even allowed taking him to two vets within hours of each other much to my surprise.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I like having the CareCredit card, that way I make payments on what I actually use, instead of monthly payments on what I haven't used and may never use. Works for me, anyway....
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

We have a pet savings account rather than insurance. It rolled over from our previous dog, and when Bauer was a puppy we started paying into it again. The nice thing is that if he needs it, it is there. If he doesn't, we aren't out any money.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Parcae is offline Senior Member

We have pet health insurance. Ours costs 2 600 SEK which is about 400 USD, a year. Insurance amount per year is 50 000 SEK (7,484 USD), with a 200 USD deductible + 15 %. Included is also rehabilitation up to 6000 SEK (900 USD) and medicine up to 3000 SEK (450 USD) per year. Oh, I almost forgot, we also have a life insurance included in our pet health insurance.

I'm not really sure if I used the correct terms, so if I don't make any sense, ask and I'll try to explain.

Dave 990305 - 110701 Forever in my heart
    Roffe 120619

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    We have a pet savings account rather than insurance. It rolled over from our previous dog, and when Bauer was a puppy we started paying into it again. The nice thing is that if he needs it, it is there. If he doesn't, we aren't out any money.
    We do the same, no credit cards and I hate paying for insurance that may never be needed or used. This way the cash is there and like Debi said we aren't out any money. We do this for several things, vacations, household emergencies, car issues ect..

Jilian is offline Senior Member

We already have a credit card with low a low interest rate and a really high limit so for now we're using that. I've been reading health insurance reviews on yelp and it sounds like quite a few of them don't pay out when needed. I think VPI was one that got pretty bad reviews. Maybe I'll start the savings account with our taxes and try that instead. The quotes I've been getting are $50 per month for the coverage we'd want, if I just start putting that much away it could add up over the years. I'm most worried about things like ACL or any other surgeries that could quickly get into the thousands.