Flea Bath?

Thread: Flea Bath?

DefaultFlea Bath?

Hello everyone, I just got a new lab puppy yesterday, I was told by the gentleman I got her from that she had fleas?? No surprise?? Well I was told not to give any medication for them only flea shampoo bath until she is 12 weeks. She is 8 weeks now is this correct? Thanks, Howie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Hi Howie,
    She'll need to be seen by a vet right away anyway, just ask them. I'm pretty sure you can give Frontline at 8 weeks. DON'T do it though until you speak to your vet.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Lucky6 is offline Senior Member

There are holistic things you can use too like apple cider vinegar. There is also a pill a vet can give her that kills all the fleas on her within hours. Not sure if she is old enough for that though. I think it is called capstar.
    Katie adopted by koko

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Also one could bath her in a mild detergent, like 1 tablespoon of Palmolive liquid dish detergent in a pint (16 oz.) water. Wet her around her neck first and then lather around her neck. Then wet and lather her up all over except her head. Rinse her very well and [U]be sure not to get anything, soap or water, in her eyes or ears.]/U]

Also one could use a flea comb on her every day - having a cup handy in which is water and a teaspoon of the Palmolive. Any fleas found on the comb should be dropped into the cup and you will see the evil fleas die.

A plastic flea collar can be cut up and put into the vacuum cleaner bag so that when the fleas are vacuumed off the floor/carpet/furniture/dog bed/crate the fleas are killed in the bag, and you only have to replace the bag when it is 'full' as you normally would.
    (Do not put a flea collar on you dog.)

Between her initial/only bath, daily flea combing (don't forget arm pits, belly, groin area and both top and bottom of her tail - everywhere!), and daily vacuuming, the fleas should be gone in about a week.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

brody is offline Senior Member

a puppy should NOT have fleas ... sorry but that's wrong and dangerous

you need to get rid of the fleas safely and quickly - up here there is puppy revolution - which is what I'd use but otherwise a bath with soap warm water and patience will work too - and a flea comb
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by talleyJudy View Post
    Also one could bath her in a mild detergent, like 1 tablespoon of Palmolive liquid dish detergent in a pint (16 oz.) water. Wet her around her neck first and then lather around her neck. Then wet and lather her up all over except her head. Rinse her very well and [u]be sure not to get anything, soap or water, in her eyes or ears.]/U]

Also one could use a flea comb on her every day - having a cup handy in which is water and a teaspoon of the Palmolive. Any fleas found on the comb should be dropped into the cup and you will see the evil fleas die.

A plastic flea collar can be cut up and put into the vacuum cleaner bag so that when the fleas are vacuumed off the floor/carpet/furniture/dog bed/crate the fleas are killed in the bag, and you only have to replace the bag when it is 'full' as you normally would.
    (Do not put a flea collar on you dog.)

Between her initial/only bath, daily flea combing (don't forget arm pits, belly, groin area and both top and bottom of her tail - everywhere!), and daily vacuuming, the fleas should be gone in about a week.
    This is the route I would go. Eight weeks is too young for any of the flea treatments or shampoos.

Judy- you're the only other person I know who says to put pieces of a flea collar in the vacuum bag. My vet told me that years ago.

matiekorgan is offline Senior Member

Judy, what an AWESOME idea with the flea collar in the vacuum bag! Harper has no fleas (touch wood!) and we have a Dyson so that idea wouldn't work for us, but my sister rescued a kitten who was a stray who was riddled with them. She's been combing them out and vacuuming daily - I'll pass on this tip for sure!! (Kitten is only 8 weeks, bless her)
    Katie & Harper
    Soccorullus Corey Boy, our "Harper" 31.08.09