choco lab having seizures

Thread: choco lab having seizures

rasta is offline Junior Member

Defaultchoco lab having seizures

hi, new here. my 1 year old choco lab is having only head seizures. he is 100% normal except when he tries to sleep. his head is the only part shaking out of control. just had full check up and blood work/shots last week. took to vet today and vet didnt seem 100% sure what it is. he took more bood and still waiting for results. does anybody know what this could be? and yes he eats everything in sight. have no idea what he may have got into.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Don't quite understand what you mean here. Is your dogs head affected the entire time he is sleeping or intermittently? Could he be dreaming?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

he does it when he is falling asleep or very relaxed state. he doesnt do it sleeping. it happens for about 10-15 seconds then stops for a few seconds then back again. he will do it probably 10 times. no whining or dizzyness

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

i am uploading a video of it now

this is when it first started, over the night the shaking lasted longer

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I don't know anything about focal siezures but have experience with Grand Mal's. We've gone the route of all the testing, and it doesn't tell you anything. I have several different vets I see and basically they all agree that if the siezures start happening a couple times a week, THEN we'll need medication. Up until now, it's 5-6 months in between.

Unfortunately, most the time this is due to hereditary factors. Breeders do not have a test for this yet either. Also, many times epileptic episodes don't start until a dog is 2+ years of age, and many breeders (even the good ones unfortunately) have used males on prelims before the age of 2. Now of course you don't know if it's coming from the sire side or the dam side, but I think this is one of those things that kind of rear its head with age, and if we didn't breed dog that early, we might be able to cull those dogs from our program without passing it on.

jazzypad1 is offline Member

Head-bobbing is found in several breeds and may be due to paroxysmal dyskinesia - which is thought to be a movement disorder rather than a seizure

Callaway is offline Senior Member

My boy also had these. Started around the same age. Just his head.

Went to the vet had bloodwork, found nothing. Thankfully they didnt get worse, and he has also not had one in over two years.

Never did any meds for it either. They were so far between I didnt want to medicate if I didnt have to.

I didnt know what it was either, so I videoed it and took it with me to the vet.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie had this happen twice. It was like someone with Parkinson's. She would twitch her head. It scared me half to death. The vet didn't find anything definitive. She had been sneezing after a walk prior to this and the vet thought she might have gotten a foxtail up her nose or something. The vet told us that often inflammation can present itself with a head jerking motion. She put Sophie on prednisone and antibiotics for 10 days. It has been 6 or 7 months now, and after the meds, it never happened again. I hope it all works out for you.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rasta View Post
    this is when it first started, over the night the shaking lasted longer

Yep...this is exactly how it looked when Sophie did it! Maybe its an inflammation with your boy as well...
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye