Cassie's latest health news
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cassie's latest health news

mistarkos is offline Senior Member

DefaultCassie's latest health news

A month ago I took Cassie to the vet just to weight her because she looked kinda fat.

She was 22.5 (49.6lb) The vet told be that she was 0.5kg (1.10lb) more than the normal for her age. I don't know if I have mentioned it before but Cassie is smaller than her age. I have seen other female labs at 6months old and they were bigger than Cassie and she's 1 year old. She's a small lab.

Anyway... Vet told me to reduce her food from 205grams to 195grams twice a day. And so I did..

Yesterday, a month later I took her. again just to weight her again. Instead of loosing weight she gain 1 more kg. And she's now 23.5kg (51.80lb)

Vet told me to reduce the food more to 180grams - twice a day. We walk every day for about 40-60 minutes total plus we play fetch. I don't give her anything else besides kibble. No other treats.

The last two weeks when I go to my sister's we play with the kids and Cassie in the yard. We through the ball, Cassie runs to catch it and then the kids run after Cassie to get the ball. We stop when Cassie gets tired and stops. Am I over doing it with this game? Will I damage her joints?

I'm trying to find ways to exercise her to loose weight but at the same time no to damage her joints.

I have also started taking her for longer walks.

Any opinions or suggestions?

If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I'd have a complete thyroid test done before doing anything else. If her thyroid is sluggish, all the exercise in the world won't help.

Laura

I called the vet regarding thyroid but she told me that in thyroid there are more symptoms than just one.. gaining weight and that they don't find a thyroid in puppies.. so I will have her on a diet for another month and we'll see how she goes.

Regrading the running while we play with the kids shall I avoid it until she's two years old Or is it ok for her to run for about 10-15 minutes per day? I don't want to do something that can damage her joints.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Off leash running and playing in the yard should be fine. What people usually advise against is "forced" exercise - on-leash jogging etc especially on harder surfaces like pavement.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

off leash play on softer surface (grass, dirt, etc.) should be encourages and give her as much as she wants. What you want to be careful with is repetitive motion on hard surfaces. I would want her to do that play session (10-15 minutes) a good 2-3 times a day. If not more.

What are you (and the vet?) basing this "needs to lose weight on"? There is no rule of thumb for lab weight, it depends on the individual dog. Can you feel her ribs? Generally speaking you want to look at the dog as a whole when deciding if they should gain/lose weight not just the number on the scale.

Is it possible she lots weight but gained muscle? Is she well toned?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Personally I would not waste my time trying to get 1 pound off of a very young dog. That's not anything to worry about. Their weight can vary day to day anyway just like humans.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Unfortunately my sister's backyard is with tiles, it's not soft. So I guess I should stop the playing there.

I will post some photos of Cassie tomorrow morning to see her and tell me if she has to loose weight or not. I can't see her ribs and I don't think I can feel them easily.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I tend to agree with Sharon - all that work for 1 pound is likely not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by mistarkos View Post
    Unfortunately my sister's backyard is with tiles, it's not soft. So I guess I should stop the playing there.

I will post some photos of Cassie tomorrow morning to see her and tell me if she has to loose weight or not. I can't see her ribs and I don't think I can feel them easily.
    You don't say how the vet decided she was overweight. You cannot base dogs of all breed via some "standard" that is to be adhered to by the pound. You need to look at the overall dog. It can be impossible to tell via photos as well. You need to feel the dog. Can you easily feel her ribs (but nto see them)? If you seriously cannot feel her ribst hen yes she likely needs to lose weight.

But it sounds like she isn't getting much exercise i wouldn't bother feeding less but up the exercise.

And yes you need to find soft surfaces and places to let her run. Beach, sand, hikes in the woods, grassy parks, etc. Tile isn't a very good surface to play on. I wouldn't say to stop all together playing there just limit it and find other places to play as well.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

I can feel her ribs if I push her skin inside. I can't feel them easily like I used to.

Vet decided she's a little bit over weight because of her size and how much she weighs. Other people also noticed she got some weight. You can see she's a little fat.

As far as the exercise goes we go 2 walks in the morning, 15 minutes the first one and 10 minutes the second one.

At noon we go for another 15 minutes.

And at night we go for 2 more walks for about 20 minutes each time.

Plus the play we have in the house.

How is that? Is it enough?

justine is offline Senior Member

I think it's hard to tell if a dog is overweight without getting your hands on a dog and feeling for it's ribs. Both of my dogs are thin (on purpose) and you can easily see a waist from above and you can easily feel their ribs.. When they are stretched out running, you can even see their ribs.

Can you buy green beans? Sometimes you can replace some of the removed kibble from her meals with something healthy like green beans. It helps to keep them full without the added calories of additional kibble. I would be worried about a possible health issue (like thyroid, mentioned above) if she's getting a decent amount of exercise and food.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast