A rescue group in the San Francisco Bay Area has asked for my assistance with a puppy in a town about 300 miles away from me (about 700 from San Francisco). They have helped with our adoption of our 4 Chocolate Labs, so I'm happy to do what I can to pay them back.
However, it turns out that the puppy is now 14 weeks old and of the 9 in the litter, still lives with 3 siblings and the parents. Due to the demands of the owners of the dogs personal lives, they have neglected to have the pups vaccinated.
We would like to adopt one of the male Yellows, but need some advice on how to proceed, or if I should pass and not get involved at all.
I know the dangers of parvo, rabies, worms, etc. and don't want to introduce disease or illness to our current Labs, so any input will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Assuming all your current crew are up to date with their vaccinations, I would think it would be safe to introduce another one without risk to them? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Could you arrange with the rescue to get the pup vaccinated BEFORE you got it?
Good luck whatever you decide. It sounds like a pretty sad situation for those poor dogs.
I agree if your pups are vaccinated the puppy is more at risk then the rest. You could also adopt then call your vet explain the situation taking the puppy directly to your vet for an examine and vaccination before bringing him home.
Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13
No vaccinations means the PUP is at risk, not your dogs. Your dogs are vaccinated against the illnesses. While vaccinations are not 100%, the point is for the vaccinated dogs to not get sick. So if you want one of these pups, you get it, take it to the vet, get started on the vaccination protocol and that's it.
I agree with the others - it should be ok as long as your other dogs are up to date on their shots. Also, most rescues will get the dog to a vet and have it's health checked and at least initial vaccinations given.
Ya, the kennel I work for also does GSD rescue. Last week we took in 10, five from California. Most we know little if nothing about their true vaccination past, and as Tanya said we start from ground zero, and start the vaccinations from square one. Judging from the condition of most of them, they most likely have never had vaccination. others may have and which case they are being technically over vaccinated, but that probably is the least of their worries at that point.
Ironically it is one of the client dog's that brought kennel cough into the kennel this week. New client, dog vaccinated against KC the day before brought in to board, and sure enough, one week later she is hacking and coughing. Go figure!
Karen and the gang
BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)
Thanks for all of the input!
I arranged an exam with a vet in the town where the pups were, and the rescue group was kind enough to fund it. Turned out that all four of the pups had parvo! They were vaccinated and quarantined. While I passed on taking one home, I have found homes (3 forever, 1 foster) for the pups.
I'm out the money for gas for the 600 mile round trip, but at least I know the Labs have a much better chance of having happy lives.
On the other hand, a new rescue opportunity came up, this time down in San Francisco. It looks like we'll be saving an 8 month old Yellow male!