Advice:quality food for helping diarrhea?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice:quality food for helping diarrhea?

CarolynK is offline Junior Member

DefaultAdvice:quality food for helping diarrhea?

Hi All,

Just looking for advice. My one year old boy is on Fromm's dog food per advice of my breeder, who I trust very much. He can have really soft and even liquid poop sometimes. Other times it's fine. He isn't sick and I've told my vet. The vet recommended changing foods, but I'm not sure which one to go for. It has to be high quality. Only the best for my boy. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
    Carolyn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Fromms is a good food, but whether or not it good for YOUR dog is not guaranteed. Is there any thing else that could be a contributing factor? i.e. treats that are given some days and not another, or more on one day and not on another? I have gone through the same thing with my dog's, and I know that they can not tolerate anything with fish in it, no salmon oil, no fish based food.

Riding the food roller coaster can be very frustrating indeed!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Has he been tested for parasites or other issues? Giardia? (have you had a stool sample tested in the last while?)

Could you be feeding too much? sometimes just a little too much can cause problems

How long has he been on this food and have you always had issues?

Depending on the answers to the above it may be that the food is not working for him and you can try another. Which Fromm food are you on? (they have quite a few different lines)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hershey123 is offline Member

Use Fromm Classic it is the best food that company makes, the others are terrible and expensive.

bett is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hershey123 View Post
    Use Fromm Classic it is the best food that company makes, the others are terrible and expensive.
    for a change, i dont agree.
    but, just because a food is good for one dog, doesnt mean it's for your dog.
    i'm curious also, if you have had a stool sample tested lately.

He had a really bad bout of diarrhea once and he ended up have giardia...which cleared up. This long term diarrhea is not as bad as when he had giardia. It's not always diarrhea... usually in the morning after being asleep all night it's fine. Later in the day it is really soft and sometimes impossible to pick up. Sometimes on a walk he'll go once and it will be fine then he'll go again and its liquidy. I feed him 2.5 cups twice a day as my breeder instructed. He's a big boy... I haven't weighed him since my husband starting having a hard time picking him up... I bet he's about 90 lbs. My other dog is 5 and I put her on the Fromm's too, she loves it and tolerates it well. It's the fromm adult classic - black bag with gold writing.

bett is offline Senior Member

A new stool sample cant hurt

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

2.5 cups 2x a day is a lot of food for a near adult dog. My younger adult dog is on 1 cup 2x a day of wellness core and he maintains well with that amount of food. Does you dog have a defined waist? I would suspect that the volume of food could be too much at this stage in his life.

And Giardia can be persistent and rebound. I'd get a stool sample checked.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Hershey123 is offline Member

It could be a variety of things, but try a food with beet pulp and/or psyllium. One of the big problems with foods that don't use beet pulp is that over time, bad bacteria growths occur. This has been shown is studies for decades. Beet pulp is one of the few fibers that can support good bacteria and not bad bacteria. It also slows down transit time a bit so nutrient and moisture is removed more efficiently. It also extremely gentle and should reduce any inflamation in your dog's colon.

Fromm has lots of ingredients, most of which are for the owner's to look at, so pick something simple. Chicken & Rice type food.

Unfortunately, websites make up stories about beet pulp that have no basis in fact. The amount of beet pulp in a large bag of food is about a coffee mug. It is really only there for the good bacteria, the dog cannot digest any of it.

You should also ensure ensure your dog is getting about 100 grams of protein from animal sources per day. The National Research Council uses the labratory requirement of 2 grams per KG of body weight but this is too low in light of studies on soft tissue injuries.

You will see a difference.
    Last edited by Hershey123; 11-25-2012 at 07:57 AM.

I'm feeding 2.5 cups a day per the advice of my breeder. He is a big boy - confirmation type lab. He does have a defined waist - he looks amazing! In terms of the beet pulp, do you know what food contains that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast