Eye Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eye Advice

DJsMOM is offline Member

QuestionEye Advice

dj eye.jpgDoes anyone have any opinions or advice on DJ's eyes, please.
    They are a little weepy when he's been sleeping but nothing extreme. He has had one infection but it cleared up with drops.
    In the evenings his eyes appear very red & droopy, this doesn't seem to notice during the day.
    He does not wipe or scratch at them, they don't seem to bother him at all.
    I have checked that he follows my fingers with his eyes, he shows no signs of not seeing clearly.

I've taken this picture, sorry it's not very clear but the best I could get while he's tired! He's 5.5 months now - could it just be that he has tired eyes in the evenings because he's still a baby? Doesn't seem to be affecting his health or happiness, so not sure whether to make a special appointment with our Vet or just wait till next check up?

photo.jpgOct12_019.jpg
    Last edited by DJsMOM; 11-22-2012 at 06:21 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

That's not a normal eye. I'd get it checked by the vet ASAP.

It could be an allergic reaction to perhaps grass or some other plant? Only the vet could say. The last thing you want to end up with is an eye ulcer or something worse. I've had so many eye problems with my Pugs over the years, I'm paranoid about them. It could also be something like a grass seed in there which WILL cause an ulcer if you're not careful.

Are you cleaning his eyes with a wet tissue? If so, are you using the same tissue for both eyes? That's one of the most common mistakes people make. If only one eye is infected, they transfer the infection straight to the good eye & end up with more problems.

Good luck with it. Please keep us updated.

DJsMOM is offline Member

Thank you, I'll get him an appointment asap. I'm a born worrier & sometimes think that I'm being a little paranoid. I've been using a cool damp flannel but have been careful not to use the same spot on each eye & use a clean flannel each time. I have two young children & have been cleaning his eyes as I would theirs.

I'll update as soon as we've seen his vet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by DJsMOM View Post
    I've been using a cool damp flannel
    That MIGHT be the problem. He might have a cotton fiber in there or it could even be the dye in the flannel that's irritating it. Maybe the washing powder you use in the washing machine? It could also be that the flannel is just to rough to use on an eye & has scratched it? Think of it as using sandpaper to clean your own eyes. This is why I use nothing but wet tissues when I do my dogs eyes.

The thing that concerns me is the blue/white spot in the bottom of this pic:

Last edited by Garth; 11-22-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

possibly conjuntivistis (or however you spell that)? I'd get a vet appointment as soon as they can fit you in.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

DJsMOM is offline Member

Popped in to vets this morning - taking him tomorrow! Don't worry about the blue bits - they are the reflection of the tv!

DJsMOM is offline Member

Vet visit this morning with DJ. His eyes are both infected & we have a very small, very expensive, but hopefully very good tube of Fucithalmic. Hopefully this should clear it up within a week. DJ is showing signs of Entropion, at the moment she is not sure if the infection has caused it to look that way, or the Entropion was always there and has caused the infections. We are going to keep an 'eye' on it!

Nov12_002.jpg

hopefully that clears it up!

Rocky had entropion, he had surgery shortly after I got him for it.

DJsMOM is offline Member

Thanks. How did Rocky get on with it? Was he poorly? Did it take long?

i was pretty heart broken when I picked him up. but he bounced back beautifully, it wasn't a huge deal.
    One eye was pretty bad so they had to cut a piece off. they lazered both eyes. If you do have to get this done research your vets. It's not a super complicated surgery (if they have to remove eyelid) but can be difficult because when they are asleep the skin is very relaxed. For Rocky he removed too much, and that eye is slightly ectropian now. But luckily it has NOT been an issue at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast