Glands and skin issues?

Thread: Glands and skin issues?

lrosales4 is offline Junior Member

DefaultGlands and skin issues?

Hi ya'll
    I'm new to this forum but I've been referring to it a ton ever since I got my lab Milo. He's about 7-8 months old black Lab/Great Dane mix. His sister was genetically tested and they were reported to be almost 90% GD but honestly Milo's genetics appear to more influenced by his Lab part.

We noticed the foul smell from his backside and took him in to get his glands expressed. After the vet tech brought him back, sge told me they were starting to become infected but gave no medication but recommended by I'm assuming the vet, to bring him back within the next month. He still kind of stinks and is still trying to bite his behind. I'm not sure if they just expressed and brought him out without any cleaning so I just wiped him down to control the smell. I've noticed all this past month he has had some pretty firm stools and he'll stop me again just to go again which are runny with some form. I'm pretty sure this is what caused us to have his glands grow and get infected suddenly.

I'm pretty observant with him but I've also noticed he has a lot of dandruff which I have just shrugged off thinking it was my blanket or carpet residue leaving that on since he's black and he's had these small bumps and redness near his penis but I also just assumed he did a lot of biting whenever we got him neutered (along with an undescended testicle excision in the same area as well) in late August. We had to keep the cone on for an extra week just because he was extremely vigilant about licking and biting around there.

Now it's finally hit me that he most likely has an allergy to the food we've been feeding him which is Nutro Large Breed Chicken Whole Brown Rice and Oatmeal. That's been a whole other trivial and exhausting process as my boyfriend and I have had to find a decent food for both Milo and my boxer. The boxer had a lot of GI problems when we first got him but now is seeming to still excel on the food.

After all of that explanation, does anyone have some advice on which food I should change him to? I know Nutro has a grain free diet but wasn't sure if I should take that route as I'm not sure if the grains in the diet is what is causing all of this. Before this formula, we also had them on Nutro small bites and their lamb formula. Milo isn't super picky about his food as his eyes are larger than what his stomach can handle as most labs. I'm so sorry I wrote a story but this is the first time we've eve had any problems with Milo's health

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie has dry skin and allergies. We put her on a grain free food, and started giving fish oil gel caps when she was 4 months old. They are good for the heart and the skin. Now her coat is glossy and beautiful. I just buy the human ones, and give one in the morning and one at night. She pops them with her teeth and seems to like them. I haven't had an anal gland problem with her, but I might call another vet and see what they think about it. Here is a link that might be helpful: A Guide to Dog Anal Gland Problems - VetInfo
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

justine is offline Senior Member

I have never fed Nutro, so I don't know much about it, but I do have a lot of experience with grain-free foods since my Kolby has allergies.

With the anal glands - I know a lot of people have had success by adding more fiber to their dogs' diets. I believe some people add a fiber supplement like Metamucil to their dogs' food, but I would call the vet and ask for a proper dosage specifically for your dog.

And for the itchy skin/dandruff - you could either add an oil supplement to his existing food such as fish oil or you could try a different food. If you do change his food, please note that it takes about 12 weeks on the new food to really see the difference.

Kolby doesn't tolerate chicken well, so I feed him a grain-free diet that doesn't have any chicken in it. I have fed many of the grain-free foods and have most recently been rotating Kolby between Fromm Beef Frittata Veg (protein source is beef) and Canidae PureLand (protein sources are bison and lamb). Neither of them are cheap by any means, but Kolby has done really well on them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank y'all. I was looking into fish pills but wasn't sure if it was overkill as the formula we buy has a special ingredient for their coat has Linoleic Acid. We had a lot of success with nutro because its formulas helped settle our boxers GI problems and Milo could eat basically any food and his poop was perfect up until now.

I've also heard and read up on Canidae but never really considered it until now. Before nutro I was going to get it but since they were out at Petsmart, I had to settle for Nutro as an emergency food for Gambit to try. We tried Blue Buffalo and that made our boxer have even more problems. I've looked at other formulas but most were just general dog food and I need a large breed formula since Milo is a hefty boy weighing over 80>lbs and he needs a limited diet since he's had a yo-yo weight issue. It's been hard finding a middle ground on how much to feed him without adding on any extra unneeded weight. I was going to go to petsmart tomorrow and look at the other choices that are available. Thank god they have a good return policy there.

I feed Canidae Pure Land and Pure Sea. I switch off. Sophie likes it. For the most part, I have always been told that Labs don't need a large breed food. Sophie weighs 77lbs, we have never used a large breed formula. Good luck...
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

Smile

Thanks I'll look those up. Yeah my vet said she doesn't want him on a regular diet because of his mix since he grew a little too fast on regular puppy food. Hopefully this issue will pass. I took him in and they said the infection is healing nicely and to maybe change to a higher grade food.

Nutro has a low protein and fat content and a high carb content. I would try grain free and see if there is any change in the problems. Couldn't hurt to try. Nutro is only an average kibble, and a change wouldn't hurt anyway. Good luck!
    ~Pam

8.5 mo.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You may need to have your dogs on 2 different foods. Sounds like what is working for your boxer is not for your Lab mix. I'd do a little research and try a grain free (perhaps with a novel protein like salmon).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

I was just looking up the ultra formula they have and it the fiber content is 1% more than his current diet which may or may not help.

I was supposed to go to Petsmart today but held off for tomorrow since we're going to Banfield again for another gland check-up. Since they were extremely busy the other day I totally forgot to ask the vet about the redness on his belly and groin area.

Unfortunately we most likely will have to have them both on different foods although it may make our budget just even more tight and harder to work with. It's kind of disappointing that now that we have our boxers stuff under control, our lab is starting to suffer.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd be open to foods other than Nutro. I took my dogs off of Nutro years ago after their very poor response to problems that eventually resulted in a major recall. There are better foods out there that are similarly priced.

Having your dogs on 2 different foods does not have to be a budget buster. Check into Pro Plan sensitive skin formula. Many dogs do well on that food.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.