Vaccinated puppy w parvo? So sad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vaccinated puppy w parvo? So sad

Montimom is offline Junior Member

DefaultVaccinated puppy w parvo? So sad

I can't believe this. Monti, my beautiful 5 month old chocolate lab is fighting parvo. Just a few short months ago I was scouring this board for training tips, and toy suggestions. I am in disbelief. I brought him into the vet because he refused to eat his dinner and then the next morning he was still sleeping at 8 am (gasp) . The vet was convinced he was ok n sent me home.
    When he didn't eat the next day I brought him back. They thought he swallowed something , gave him X-rays. Wanted to do exploratory surgery. When I went to give a bigger deposit the doctor mentioned he could test for parvo but it was going to cost $66. I was already up to $900! He said since he was fully vaccinated at their facility it was a long shot... 10 minutes later we got our answer. An hour later the vet called , Monti was vomiting.
    That was Thursday - now Sunday night. I don't know how this puppy is still alive. The vet has him in isolation. I cannot see him. I am so upset. I don't have an abundance of confidence although this office is the newest , biggest , n best this side of town. They were doom n gloom with every phone call. This morning they reported he has gone 12 hours without vomiting. For the first time I felt hopeful. The weekend vet said she would call before she left for the night. I got no phone call. Left here to sit up and wait til morning. $2300 .
    So I turn to you- have you heard of not being able to see your own dog for 4 days? Is this standard? When do they send him home- what sign am I looking for. Do I wait til he eats n poops before I take him home.

How suspicious should I be that he truly got correct vaccines ( scheduled to the exact days per their schedule). Is this unusual. He is 55 lbs does that help his chances. And if this strain is resistant to vaccines - what chances of his dog friends coming down with this?
    Bleaching my yard, house, clothing. Throwing everything away - crying like a baby. The house is devastated.

Monti's mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Another member on this board reported the same thing a couple of weeks ago. He found out that the vaccine his puppy got was faulty. I am so sorry you are going through this. The other member's puppy got over it and is home now. 13 years ago, our puppy got parvo. We had her in the hospital. She had IV's in 2 legs. We were not able to visit her for the first few days. She needed to be kept quiet, and the vet was afraid it could set her back if she saw us. We did get to see her after a few days, and she tried to stand up to greet us. We were heartbroken to see her that way. Looking back on it, I am not sure visiting was such a good idea. She looked so forelorn when we had to leave her. She pulled through, and lived to be 12. I am begining to wonder about the faulty vaccines out there. Maybe you need to do a little research on it. Please let us know how it goes. Also, the other member said the vaccine company responsible for the faulty vaccine was paying the vet bills. The member here is "smokey"....send him a message, he may be able to help you figure out what to do.
    Last edited by Sophiesmama; 11-12-2012 at 04:42 AM.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

My best thoughts for your puppy. I can imagine how worried you must be and hope that he makes a complete recovery. I would want to know exactly what vaccine he was given....then you could possibly find out if others have had this happen. Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Vaccines are never 100%. Many vets stop giving puppy boosters at 12 weeks. I give that last booster at 20 weeks, especially since I read something once that said stopping before that puts the dog at risk for parvo. I doubt the vaccine was faulty.

Laura

Shelley is offline Senior Member

I am sorry that your Monti is sick with parvo. Good thoughts for his full recovery.

I would find the lot number of the vaccine, and would report it to the manufacturer, if you can. I doubt it was a vaccine failure either, but I vaccinate like Laura does.

Montimom is offline Junior Member

Thank you for all your best wishes. I guess I am just looking for something to blame, but you are probably right nothing is 100%. I just thought he was protected by age and size and shots. I can't imagine doing anything different with Monti if I had that information before he came down with parvo.
    Monti is on day 7 of no food , still hasn't kept anything down. The vet is giving it another 24 hours before we decide to put him down. She was very doom and gloom today. I still think he is coming home. Cause thats all I can do. Waiting for him to come home so I can complain about him grabbing the chicken from the counter...that would be priceless.
    Thanks again...kiss your puppies for me

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

So sorry to hear that Monti is not doing well
    We'll keep sending good thoughts your way and hope that he improves.

NancyO is offline Junior Member

I am so sorry. I hope Monti makes some sort of turn around tomorrow and he wins this battle. My heart goes out to you. Sending you lots of positive thoughts.

Nancy

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Did you contact smokey? I pray your puppy gets over this and comes home.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry. I hope things take a turn for the better and the news is better tomorrow. Good healing thoughts coming.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast