My 6 1/2 month old Black Lab has been limping for a couple weeks.....no help from vet
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 6 1/2 month old Black Lab has been limping for a couple weeks.....no help from vet

Amiek is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy 6 1/2 month old Black Lab has been limping for a couple weeks.....no help from vet

Our black lab, Osiris, has been limping for about 2 1/2 weeks on his hind leg. It seems more prominent after he wakes up or has been laying down. Sometimes it lasts only minutes, sometimes at least 30 minutes. I have felt the area, feels fine. He "acts" fine but who am I to know his pain tolerance or how he shows it? We took him to both vets in town the day we noticed it, but they said it is likely a sprained muscle. My problem is not money....it is location. We live in the Dominican Republic, and care of and treatment for pets is minimal. They do not care if a pet is injured. I was aware of this extent when we bought our puppies (we also have his chocolate brother) when we walked into the vet for a routine exam for my daughter's cat and they were selling FOUR WEEK OLD puppies.....90% of the reason my husband let me have them is because we were appalled at their age being sold and the living conditions of the kennel. We thought we were saving them. But now I feel helpless. A dog does not limp for weeks and it be a pulled muscle, right? There are 2 vets in town (including the one we bought them from). I have tried both, and neither will do an x-ray (one claims not to have one, one says it is a waste). When looking up more vets, I found I can take him to one 4 hours from here, but they act the same way on the phone....that I am overexaggerating and that if he isn't whining he is fine. I have read some horror stories that started similarly to Osiris', and am trying to find a solution for him. I thought about bringing him to America (we are American citizens) but customs informed me he couldn't come in without a clean bill of health. When I argued his shots are up to date and he is healthy aside from a limp, they told me it is not considered healthy. I have tried to have complete rest for him, but I feel the point is moot, as he RUNS to my husband every time he comes home, enters a room, leaves a room, etc. He is also extremely active with his brother. If anyone has any suggestions, I am willing to try anything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Erendui is offline Senior Member

Is there a way of getting an American vet to come to you? I don't know how much this will cost hope your dog is ok x

This is something I hadn't thought of. I am actually to the point that I would be willing to go to the airport and ask every tourist if they are a vet! It is a helpless feeling to have the means, but not the vet. Never felt this in America.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You should try strictly resting him for a couple of weeks and see if there is improvement. No running.otty breaks on leash only, crated wen you can't control what he is doing. You won't see improvement if he Kees overusing the leg.

Is there a university there that might have a vet program? Might be a better option.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Is there a university there that might have a vet program? Might be a better option.
    I was thinking the same thing. Have you tried contacting these guys? Might be worth a try.

Universidad Nacional Pedro Henriquez Urena (UNPHU) - Veterinary Medicine - 229285 | GradSchools.com

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amiek View Post
    This is something I hadn't thought of. I am actually to the point that I would be willing to go to the airport and ask every tourist if they are a vet! It is a helpless feeling to have the means, but not the vet. Never felt this in America.
    This gave me a lump in my throat. To want to do the best for your dog and not able to find help must be like torture. I am so sorry.

I would give him as much rest as possible. If you can get a crate, or barrier off a portion of a room to stop as much activity as possible. Even it it is a pulled muscle it still needs rest.

I hope you can find help. Good thoughts coming.

eta. I know it isn't much help, but can you go to one of those online vets and ask if they can recommend something.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

EmmyGirl is offline Junior Member

Oh, this story is sad, poor Osiris Did you ask your vet about Dasuquin? You can order it on line. I know most vets do not recommend this supplement unless there is some hip problem. Emmy came from a BYB. She started limping and bunny hopping at 4 months. At 6 months, I had Emmy spayed and that found severe right hip dysplasia. We found good surgeon, well renowned in Maryland to perform a Double Pelvis Osteotomy. So far, she is doing well, a lot of crating and sedation. X ray is great now. You have to get the vet in your country to X ray him. I hope it is not his hips. I wish you and your pup well. I would keep him confined in crate when he is favoring the leg, and no jumping on and off furniture if he does that. I guess the vet doesn't have laser therapy. Dogs love it and it helps inflammation. Prayers to you and your pups. I could ask my surgeon; he does travel around giving seminars about orthopedic medicine. Good luck Karen and Emmy

DefaultThank you

Thank you for your suggestions and kind words. I looked into it, and there is one vet school here in the Dominican Republic. It is 4 hours away but definitely worth a phone call. I am also posting the same question on justanswer.com for a vet. I did not ask about that medication, but will look more into it. In fact, if I knew of something that could help him they sell everything over the counter here. It amazes me that I live in a country that businesses will screw you out of every penny, but don't want to take your money to help an animal. I am going to crate him and see what happens. I am also going to separate him and his brother.....they are absolute trouble together. If I crate him and leash him for bathroom breaks, should I also try giving him meds? Also, has anyone heard of a doctor for humans giving a pet an X-ray? While there aren't many options with vets, they have doctors everywhere here who I would THINK would be happy to take my money for simply doing an X-ray. I guess I'm desperate. He honestly acts like everything is fine. He'll even lay on the floor with his hips spread, as does his brother. It seems to be when he's been laying down, but my gut tells me this can't be good if its been this long.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I would give the supplements and as much crate rest as you can. I think musle strain can take a week to 2 months to heal.

A vet is specially trained in doing xrays and reading them on pet. If a vet will not do the xray is a doctor any more likely to.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

ThreeTs is offline Senior Member

That is really frustrating. An x-ray may not even tell you what is wrong with him, the problem could be a torn ligament, you really need a good vet to accurately diagnose something like that. If it were my dog I would do crate rest like others have recommended, and joint supplements. It does not have to be Dasuquin, since that is only available through vets, there are good non-prescription ones. Read on if you want to know what I use.

I have a young dog that because of a heart defect cannot have any type of sedation or anesthesia without huge risk. At about six months she began limping on her front leg, vet suspected shoulder OCD, but we didn't x-ray because she can't have surgery anyway. I put her on glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM pet liquid for about six months and the limp went away. I stopped the supplement because she seemed to be having allergic reactions to it once in a while (swollen eye lids). She was fine until this year at age 3.5 the front limp came back (arthritis setting in in the shoulder), plus a hind limp. She could have a bad hip or a partial ligament tear or maybe nothing at all (personally I think her hips are bad). Either way I put her on a human glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement and both limps are gone now. It's not ideal but its how we have to deal with her, she also gets fish oil and vitamin E. Should you wish to try what I give Carrie, I use vitacost.com, which does international orders. I use this, Vitacost Glucosamine & Chondroitin 1,500 mg/1,200 mg per serving -- 180 Capsules - Vitacost and this, Vitacost MSM -- 1000 mg - 240 Capsules - Vitacost at the human labeled doses. Fish oil is also good for joints, I use Vitacost fish oil or Carlson salmon oil, and 200 IU vitamin E every other day, extra E is needed as an antioxidant with fish oil. It takes several weeks for joint supplements to begin working I would do at least two months before giving up.

Good luck with your pup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast