Did my lab have a seizure???

Thread: Did my lab have a seizure???

Cocoasmum is offline Junior Member

DefaultDid my lab have a seizure???

Hi,
    I am new. I have a chocolate lab who is 3 years old. Her name is Cocoa & we got her from a lab rescue when she was 18 months. She has been a joy & a blessing to our family!! Last night, the kids called for me "Mommy, emergency with Cocoa!" So I ran in & she was standing in a squat position & shaking & seemed like she had no control over her legs. They were not out straight, but she was shaking. I got her to lay down & the boys brought over some water & it slowly eased up. Her tail started wagging & she started to lick us & then drank some water. She seemed completely fine. My husband then said that he saw some vomit on the side yard the day before.

My husband started using coffee grounds in the planters a few days ago to get rid of snails. Could this be connected? I just read that dogs cant have coffee of any sort. I don't think she ate chocolate. My kids get the halloween candy down after dinner & take out a couple of peices & I know they never leave chocolate laying around.

She has been completely fine since the incident...playing tug-o-war, being silly & taking naps. She ate her breakfast, went potty & everything seems ok. She had no foam or any other symptom. Any ideas???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It could certainly be a seizure. And - she could have eaten the coffee grounds - don't know if they could cause this result. Did you call your vet?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Labs are prone to epilepsy unfortunately, and breeders do not have a test for it. One of mine years ago had Grand Mals from time to time. Never frequent enough for medication. I used to be on the look out if this dog vomitted, and then sometimes (not every vomit was a siezure) the dog would tighten up either into a crouch or would just fall over, and legs would "run" and body would shake. They will often poop and pee as their muscles contract. In 1-2 minutes, it usually lets up. They will get up a bit dazed and confused, then slowly recognize where they are, and then be back to normal. Our vets did so many tests, thyroid, blood tests, nothing told us anything. We just dealt with them as they happened. Vet said if they started to happen more often (once a week), then we'd do medication. That was never the case with ours. Our ALWAYS vomited before the seizure started.

I don't think the coffee grounds or chocolate would lead to a seizure unless the dog is ultra sensitive. Chocolate, while bad, is only bad to LARGE dogs in LARGE quantities. Think 1 ounce per pound of dog. A fun sized Snickers would not hurt a lab. Tell your husband you can catch slugs and snails with a pie pan and beer. Much safer for the dog.

For the time being you'll have to wait it out and see if another happens. Hopefully not.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Shelley is offline Senior Member

What was going on right before this happened? The rear leg weakness make me think of EIC, Exercise Induced Collapse, it is kind of mis named, because the triggers are different for each dog that collapses, and is more "excitement" induced. There is a genetic test for it, if after ruling out the coffee grounds or something else, I would ask your vet to test for it, you can do it by cheek swab or blood sample, and submit to the University of Minnesota.

Hope your girl is OK!

Erendui is offline Senior Member

I don't have any advice, but I know of your pain. One of my good friends' dogs (Billy) is epileptic, and even though his fits are fairly frequent, it still upsets her. He is also a rescue dog, but a mutt. All I can say is don't worry, my friend's dog lives an otherwise happy, healthy life and has been around since his first known fit about 5 years ago. It is upsetting, but don't lose heart! xxx