New future lab puppy owner..what puppy food is best?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New future lab puppy owner..what puppy food is best?

BNS10 is offline Member

DefaultNew future lab puppy owner..what puppy food is best?

Hey there! Sometime next spring we are going to be getting our first black lab! I'm very excited. I, however, am confused on what puppy food to get. I currently own a pug and we fed him fromm Puppy & switched him to Acana...but I know labs are bigger dogs so I'm not sure what puppy food would be acceptable? I know you have to be carful of the Calcium Phosphate levels..would Fromm puppy still be okay? Or should I go with a large breed puppy food?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I use large breed puppy from Blue Buffalo
    ~Paul

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Ask your breeder what their pups do best on. Most will offer this info upfront in a puppy preparation document.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BNS10 is offline Member

They use Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy! They said they saw great results in their coats and they grow at a nice rate. We started our pug out on this when he was a puppy (obviously not the LB) then switched him to Acana. Would it be okay to do the same thing once the lab was older?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I'd keep the puppy on the same food the breeder is feeding for a few months. you can transition later but you may find one food doesn't work "best" for both the dogs.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BNS10 is offline Member

Yea, I will probably do that until I find another food I'm more comfortable with. I'm hoping the new puppy will do well on Acana! It will probably be a trial and error process.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Just be careful and do not start the food "roller coaster" as it can be extremely detrimental to your dog causing many problems. Good luck with your new puppy, lucky you! Welcome to the forum!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

BNS10 is offline Member

We plan to just switch him to a new puppy food after leaving him on the Eukanuba LBP food the breeder suggested for a month (or until he becomes very comfortable in our home) . I was thinking about Fromm LBP and then when he was an adult (13months) we'd make the switch to Acana. Would that be alright? I just know since he will be bigger than my pug, it will be a whole different ball game lol

BNS10 is offline Member

Here is the link for Fromm LBP:http://frommfamily.com/pdf/typical-a...reed-puppy.pdf

And here is the link for Acana LBP:Puppy Large Breed | Acana

I have been told that LBP food is the way to go! I think the Calcium/Phosphate levels are good in both foods, I am just not sure about the fat content, protein, etc. Like I said, I will obviously keep the new pup on Eukanuba for the first 1-2 months or until he is completely settled in and 100% comfortable! Then we will make the switch! I have nothing against Eukanuba, I just have done A LOT of research and think that those alternative foods have better ingredients. Would these be okay? Does anyone have any experience with the LBP food of both brands?

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Labs are not large breed dogs and do not require LB food. You can search the forum as there is a ton of info on this subject. You can actually stick with one food if you are able to find one you like that has an "all life stages" formula. Again, I would definitely stick with what the breeder uses and if it works, why fix what is not broken? Your breeder knows their dogs and what works best for them. Their advice/experience is very important.

Good luck!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast