Anal Glands - Any Suggestions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anal Glands - Any Suggestions?

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnal Glands - Any Suggestions?

This has always been an occasional issue for Dee. Usually (over the years) it's been a couple/few months (or more) between needing them done, but seems to be getting more frequent. This time it's only been a month or so and she's scooted a few times this past week.....so likely needs them doing again already. My Vet commented last time that the contents is too thick/sludgy to pass the way it should (a bit with each bm). I'm wondering if diet has any effect on anal glands? Are there certain things that make the issue worse or better?

I guess we could try adding more fiber to her diet, but her bm's are great; never loose. Not sure why some dogs have this problem.

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

My vet told me the same thing about adding fiber to their diet.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Of course you can add something to their diet. Just like old folks need their metamucil. All bran, pumpkin, green beans, anything fiber. If the dog isn't prone to problems with food, look for something with more fiber in it to start.

Also, if you don't do this already, let your dog chew on raw marrow bones. I had one go to town on a knuckle bone and found out later that eating too much firms up the stools. Too much and the dog is constipated but it also makes it firm enough to naturally express the anal glands.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

I've known dogs that had this issue and it got better when more fiber was added. I believe people add canned pumpkin or Metamucil, but I would call your vet and ask how much/how often they recommend that. I wouldn't change the food you are feeding, just supplement. Worth a shot!

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Diesel has this problem too. I find adding green beans helps a lot. Still seems odd though since his stools are really firm and I see sometimes he is able to express them naturally.

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

We add pumpkin to the pug food if they start having problems. My friend freezes canned pumpkin in an ice cube tray and thaws as needed.

And what in the world do you mean, Roxi/ie/y? You 'see' he expresses them?

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBrown View Post
    Of course you can add something to their diet. Just like old folks need their metamucil. All bran, pumpkin, green beans, anything fiber. If the dog isn't prone to problems with food, look for something with more fiber in it to start.

Also, if you don't do this already, let your dog chew on raw marrow bones. I had one go to town on a knuckle bone and found out later that eating too much firms up the stools. Too much and the dog is constipated but it also makes it firm enough to naturally express the anal glands.
    Thing is the vet says that the contents of her glands is too firm to express normally, so I'm not sure that more fiber would help this. Her stools are always very normal and not loose at all. What I'm also wondering is......What causes the actual contents of the glands to be so much more firm/sludgy that it should be? And is there anything that can improve this?

Her glands used to occasionally and suddenly express on their own......and a fair amount. When that happened it would often happen two or three times in the same day and then not again for weeks. Not sure why that would happen either, but the contents was a lot more normal looking at that point. Lately that hasn't been happening......though her diet hasn't changed at all.

Thanks all for your suggestions.
    Last edited by Top Of The Hill; 11-03-2012 at 12:37 PM.

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

When I researched this for my pugs I think I remember that the contents become thicker the longer they sit in there. If they are expressed then you increase fiber they will express on their own more often so won't have the chance to get as thick.

Quote Originally Posted by CindersMyGirl View Post
    When I researched this for my pugs I think I remember that the contents become thicker the longer they sit in there. If they are expressed then you increase fiber they will express on their own more often so won't have the chance to get as thick.
    Oh, okay......thanks Cinders. My vet has never mentioned this, but it's sure worth a try. I guess there is a predisposition in some dogs that causes the glands not to empty on a consistent basis.....even it their stool is firm and normal. Dee is the first dog I've had that has any issue with anal glands and for the most part I've just had to get them expressed a few times a year. I'm wondering how much and what type of fiber would be good. Green beans or All Bran would be easy and I could do the pumpkin by freezing it (like your friend does). Green beans is the only one of the three that she's had before, but not on a regular basis because I wasn't giving them to her for any particular reason. I'd just want to be very careful that it wasn't something that was going to upset her stomach or give her gas. I worry about bloat. Thanks again.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CindersMyGirl View Post
    And what in the world do you mean, Roxi/ie/y? You 'see' he expresses them?
    LOL!! Well, he typically pushes out two hard stools and sometimes has a little "squirt" at the end. Vet told me that's what it was, so that's what I'm going with! Roxy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast