Check-up required for Lepto shot?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check-up required for Lepto shot?

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

QuestionCheck-up required for Lepto shot?

I'll do whatever Diesel needs, just making sure this makes sense. He is going in for his annual Lepto - tons of raccoons, rabbits, fox, etc with trails & standing water around so I feel ok with this vacc - but when I called to get an idea of cost they said "well, in addition to the check up fee..." ????

He had his annual physical earlier this year, this is a vet we have seen before, they know the only time he got a reaction is when he had his first DHPP and a day later needed Benadryl shot for a bad bug bite (snout swelled up like a baseball). So what are they checking that will justify a $75 fee? The answer I got was "y'know, a check up" lol. I half expected her to snap her bubblegum. Just asking here before I call them back and get little miss bubbly. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I don't have an answer but, generally, if the vet visit involves seeing the vet (and not just a run in the back with a tech) there is an office visit charge. Maybe that's what they call a check up?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Good point, I wonder if I can ask to just bring him in for a shot & go? Like when I get his anal glands or nails done. The techs are usually the ones to administer shots that I know of. Interesting. I wonder if it is a requirement to listen to his heart, check his breathing, ears, eyes, etc before a Lepto shot?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

We took Sophie in for boosters in Sept. I was prepared for a full vet visit along with office call fee. When we got there, the tech said she would take her back and vaccinate her. I asked if she was seeing the vet, and she said no, not unless I knew of a problem. Sophie had been in there for other stuff and an exam within a couple or three months of the booster time. I don't know if that is why she didn't see the vet, or if they just usually don't. Over here, they have low cost clinics in parking lots and stuff, and anyone can get a pet vaccinated, and there is no exam, so I would guess that unless you notice your dog not feeling well, it isn't standard practice to have a vet check.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Are you JUST getting the Lepto done? No other vaccs? I'd be talking to the office manager and letting them know that you were just in earlier for a well check and ask how many months is too many if they say tough luck. And plan your vax's accordingly next year. I try to keep ~4 wks between any and all vaccs my dogs are given and my vet clinic is cool w/ what I give here and when.

If mine go in for basically anything w/in 6 mos (sometimes more), my vet will waive that office visit when a Rabies (the only vax I have to have a vet give mine) booster is given.

Is fall typically the high risk time for Lepto in Canada? Around here it's spring. My vet recommended to me to boost in lt winter, early spring, so I do in ~Feb. You may want to ask on that.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

I too believe that the Lepto shot is MOST effective if given in the Spring. It lasts usually only about 6 months which is supposed to cover the time the disease can be active in the environment. I believe it's typically dormant during the cold months and not a problem to our animals during this time.

Also, you SHOULD be able to get a vaccination without an office visit. Especially if you have had a full exam within the last 12 months.

You MAY want to see if you know anyone that can give you a recommendation for another vet. See if you can talk to them about Lepto and then pick their brains about their fee schedule.

justine is offline Senior Member

When I worked in a vet clinic, we had a standard "office visit" charge, but if the dog was just coming in for a booster or injection, it was reduced to ~$20. It's not a full office visit like a yearly checkup, but prior to administering anything (regardless if it was a vaccine, medication, or something else), the dog was always weighed, had it's temperature taken and was seen by the vet. I think that's fairly common practice for all vets, but I don't think it's right to charge that much considering it's not nearly as extensive of a visit.

You guys are right - Lepto should be done in the Spring... duh on me for just going with the reminder in the mail. Not sure why he started them so late in the Fall. He did a 3yr vacc for the DHPP so isn't due for that until 2013. I think I will skip the Lepto this time and book it for Feb/March -- thanks!

As an aside, I did call the vet's office back to inquire about the check-up - first got the same "well you know - a check-up" told her not specific enough, so she stumbled on her words a bit "listen to their heart, check their breathing, ears etc." so I reiterated he had his annual recently & he's otherwise perfectly fine, then she tells me in the province of Ontario it's the law before any shots are administered to do a check-up?? Okkkk... news to me, when I questioned this "law" further she laid this on me... "well, you are of course also paying for the Vet's time" And there it is!! Ok, thanks, cancel our appointment please!

Going to google this law & look for another vet as I am sure there is one much closer to us that perhaps doesn't dick around so much. Shame.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Good job for pursuing it. Vet's time?? OK, if I'm paying for the vet's time, I want the vet to give the shot in front of me. Not this nonsense where the tech takes the dog in the back and brings it back and you never see the vet, yet you are paying for the vet's time?? One of my vet's does a $20 exam WITH shots, and they'll come in the room with the vaccinations and give them personally. Then they do the quickie heart/lungs/etc. OK on that.

Good luck finding a new vet.

Thanks, called a few vets & so far this "law" is common practice. Interesting. Haven't found any sound link on google yet, I may just have to ask for the direct link to reference from a vet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast