Lab bad breath and sore gums?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab bad breath and sore gums?

OfficiallyHeath is offline Junior Member

ExclamationLab bad breath and sore gums?

Lucy is a 2yo Labrador, and within the past 6 months, her breath has gotten really bad. I mean, it's always been bad since she was about 1 year, but lately it's really bad. When we give her Dentastix she seems to cry, which makes me think it's her gums?

At 1 year, I would of taken her to the vet if I knew it could be a problem but now I know it can be but before I go to the vet, I want to find out what we could do instead of the vets, as we honestly cant afford £60 to just walk in the dentist, and £200 for the treatment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

She could very easily have a broken or rotten tooth. She is young for gum disease.

Frankly, properly caring for your dog's health is part of owning a dog and if you don't have the money now, maybe the vet can offer credit/allow you to pay over time. In the US there is an option called "Care Credit" - maybe there is something in the UK like that. Its your responsibility to get her help when she is ill/injured. You can't fix this on your own.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

People often call me a bad person, or us bad people for not being able to afford vet bills, but seriously not many people can. Here, it's so expensive for vet bills - but we took her for a free check up about 5 weeks ago and the vet said she is fine! (:

Oh and I'm not saying you're calling us bad people... I'm just saying that we cant afford the bills, but she is healthy!
    Last edited by OfficiallyHeath; 10-25-2012 at 03:29 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

When Abbey broke a tooth, the first sign was a change in her breath, which was absolutely horrid after she had broken each tooth. I would definitely take a good look at all of her teeth, especially the back molars on both top and bottom. Also check to make sure there aren't any lumps or anything on her gums. Dogs can also get abscesses, which you wouldn't necessarily see.

Sometimes they can slice off a piece on the side of a tooth, called a slab fracture. That's what Abbey did to her back molars both times. She did require surgery both times and I did it very quickly since infections in the mouth can spread to the rest of the body.

Quote Originally Posted by OfficiallyHeath View Post
    People often call me a bad person, or us bad people for not being able to afford vet bills, but seriously not many people can. Here, it's so expensive for vet bills - but we took her for a free check up about 5 weeks ago and the vet said she is fine! (:

Oh and I'm not saying you're calling us bad people... I'm just saying that we cant afford the bills, but she is healthy!
    I don't know a thing about you so of course I am not calling you bad - simply that a dog, like a child, should be gotten care if they are ill or injured.

What you are telling us sounds very much like your dog needs dental care. Are there humane societies there that could get her treatment? I appreciate that you love probably your dog, but just as I would not have children if I could not afford to care for one (and there are many safety nets for care of children) I would not keep a dog if I could not get it medical care if he needed it (and there are few safety nets for dogs). Just my opinion - don't have any answers for you if you can't pay for the care your dog needs.

I appreciate that, and I understand that, but, when we first got Lucy two years ago we could afford it - but now we cant. And I honestly think that no one would have a dog or animal if they couldn't afford it, because most people in the UK cant afford it, the costs are absolutely ridiculous. They have a scheme at the RSPCA for people to have animal care for low prices or something, but there's a few complications that are stopping us. She is perfectly healthy, as the vet says, it's just her breath that is worrying me.

Thank you! I'll do that!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

did the vet take a good look at her teeth and gums 5 weeks ago? has it gotten worse since her visit?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by OfficiallyHeath View Post
    She is perfectly healthy, as the vet says, it's just her breath that is worrying me.
    Just like in humans, untreated dental issues in dogs can wind up spilling bacteria into the bloodstream and much more serious problems could result. If there is a way to find low cost treatment (vet school maybe?) I would find it.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

If her breath has been bad for a year and you saw the vet 5 weeks ago what did they say?
    We can only offer opinions based on what we have experienced, whereas the vet and you know the dog.

Are the gums bleeding, are there any other lumps or sores anywhere on her mouth?

If you are worried it means something isn't right and go with your gut.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast