Need suggestions for a Low Fat food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions for a Low Fat food

imported_ownedby3labs is offline Junior Member

DefaultNeed suggestions for a Low Fat food

Hi,
    I don't post often but I have gotten so much great information from this site over the years that I am hoping someone may have a suggestion for me. Sprite, my 10 yo yellow female lab was diagnosed with Pancreatitis today. She is currently at the vet on IV fluids. We noticed this morning that she just wasn't right and took her to the vet so hoping we caught it early. She had us pretty scared. The vet said she will have to go home on a low fat diet ( <8%). She also has multiple food allergies. So finding something that will work may be a challenge. So I was hoping someone here may have a suggestion. She has been on Orijen Senior for the last 6 months. It seems that you really have to sacrifice meat content and up the carbs to get the lower fat percentage they are looking for . California Natural is the only one I've come along so far tonight that meets that requirement. Would love to hear any ideas.
    Thanks so much
    Sue

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

What about the fish type foods? Fish is low in fat and high in omegas that are healthy.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

labby is offline Senior Member

As much as I hate to say it, I'd be doing a prescription diet for this dog. I don't mess around with pancreatitis.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

And prescription food might be the ONLY one with low enough fat. Many of the premium foods are pretty low in fat already, but I haven't noticed one less than 10%.

imported_ownedby3labs is offline Junior Member

Thanks so much for the replies! The only prescription diet they have available is from science diet and makes me pretty nervous. We just want what's best for her. I got the name of a nutrionist this morning that can create a diet that you can cook at home based on their needs. Not too sure about this either. Is there a prescription diet you would recommend ? Or has anyone has experience home cooking their dogs meals?

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I have a 11 year old who when he was 17 months old had pancreatitis.

He was at the vet for 2.5 weeks and underwent a serious surgery.

We were told a few things about diet after that. Yes, avoid fats, and avoid things like Pork, turkey and fatty table scraps.

My guy was on Science diet for 9 months, until his lipids in his blood were back to normal.

He now eats low glycemic foods because he has cancer.

Keep your dog on whatever the vet feels is appropriate. I know you feel like crap for feeding Science Diet, but it's what is best for your dog at this time. Period. It's what she needs.

And be glad she doesn't need surgery! Ugh. That was horrible.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by imported_ownedby3labs View Post
    Thanks so much for the replies! The only prescription diet they have available is from science diet and makes me pretty nervous. We just want what's best for her. I got the name of a nutrionist this morning that can create a diet that you can cook at home based on their needs. Not too sure about this either. Is there a prescription diet you would recommend ? Or has anyone has experience home cooking their dogs meals?
    My friend has a dog who had had multiple bouts of this. Her dog is on the Science Diet prescription food and is thriving.

Laura

justine is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    As much as I hate to say it, I'd be doing a prescription diet for this dog. I don't mess around with pancreatitis.
    ^^This. Or you could possibly formulate a home cooked diet along with your vet. I believe there are veterinary resources that your vet might be able to refer you to to help formulate a diet, too.

Hershey123 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by imported_ownedby3labs View Post
    Hi,
    I don't post often but I have gotten so much great information from this site over the years that I am hoping someone may have a suggestion for me. Sprite, my 10 yo yellow female lab was diagnosed with Pancreatitis today. She is currently at the vet on IV fluids. We noticed this morning that she just wasn't right and took her to the vet so hoping we caught it early. She had us pretty scared. The vet said she will have to go home on a low fat diet ( <8%). She also has multiple food allergies. So finding something that will work may be a challenge. So I was hoping someone here may have a suggestion. She has been on Orijen Senior for the last 6 months. It seems that you really have to sacrifice meat content and up the carbs to get the lower fat percentage they are looking for . California Natural is the only one I've come along so far tonight that meets that requirement. Would love to hear any ideas.
    Thanks so much
    Sue
    Annamaet Lean 30/8.

jazzypad1 is offline Member

A home-cooked diet may turn out to be your only option - probably depending on what allergies your dog has.

My eight year old has chronic pancreatitis, along with multiple allergies (food and indoor environmental). On vet advice he's been on a home cooked diet for several years now - although the diet has had to change when we identified all the allergies.

Skinless chicken breast or white fish are very good low-fat options, as long as your dog can tolerate these. Rabbit is also very low in fat. In the case of my dog - well he's allergic to all of these. Rice is usually a good choice of carbohydrate - but in our case, well he has to be allergic to that as well! And alllergy to storage mites (and grain mites) mean that dried food is not an option.

In order to arrive at a suitable healthy home-cooked diet you really need to discuss this with a vet - and preferably an holistic veterinarian. Believe me, home cooked diets are not easy!!

I was also advised to give frequent small meals throughout the day in order to lighten the load on the digestive tract and this also means the pancreas doesn't need to work quite so hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast