Pup always hungry??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pup always hungry??

DefaultPup always hungry??

Just curious. When I adopted my mixed lab puppy she was 5 months old and a little thin. Took her to the vet and had her checked out and asked him about a food he recommended he gave me several brands he liked and said just follow the bag guidlines for amounts. I ened up buying her a locally produced brand called Docs Choice that'd been highly recommended by several other people. So the bag said 1 to 1 1/3 cups for a dog her weight...Her being a little thin i was giving her approx a whole cup twice a day and she's starting to really look much healthier.

So anyways my question...I've had her for about a month now and for the first week or so she didn't have much of an appitite but its really been increasing...the last week or lil more she just acts so hungry. Didn't know how normal this was or what I should do. We also have a chinese pug but they ALWAYS act hungry didn't know if this was normal for a lab her age?

Thanks for any help guys....sorry for such a long explanation

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

If she is gaining on what you have been feeding her, she is probably OK. Some people add green beans to their dogs diet to add bulk and make them feel fuller without adding a lot of calories.

I checked out Doc's Choice food. The puppy food is better than adult, but both have corn as a primary ingredient and corn is not a necessary ingredient in a canine's diet. The adult food has 4 grains in the first 5 ingredients. Probably more suitable for a cow.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    If she is gaining on what you have been feeding her, she is probably OK. Some people add green beans to their dogs diet to add bulk and make them feel fuller without adding a lot of calories.

I checked out Doc's Choice food. The puppy food is better than adult, but both have corn as a primary ingredient and corn is not a necessary ingredient in a canine's diet. The adult food has 4 grains in the first 5 ingredients. Probably more suitable for a cow.
    Yeah the puppy food is what she's on....would u recommend something better?? open to suggestions!!!

thanks for the input

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puppies start out needing about 2X the amount of food an adult dog of that same weight would need. As they become older that multiiplier declines to about 1X at around 12 months.

My Puff, 6 lbs. at 9 weeks, ate less than a cup a day when I got her. That gradually increased to 5 cups/day when she weighed 45 lbs at 8 months age.

Then she started skipping meals so I measured how much she'd eaten when she did start eating again and gave her the reduced amount.

Gradually, her appetite declined to 1 cup 2X/day at around 12 months age.

BTW, it's not the number cups/day, it's the kcals/cup that's the important factor.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thats a good point...never thought bout that.

thanks

vickig is offline Member

I don't know if mine are always hungry, but they always are ready to eat. And not necessarily "food" as we know it.

I would suggest to get your pup off this food and fast. The ingredients are crap. Besides the alfalfa, eggs and a few vitamins, there is no needed and good ingredients in this food. Plus if you cared to actually research ethlenediamine dihydroiodide and manganous oxide that are listed as the ingredients, you would not want you dog to eat this food. Not enough protein for a growing puppy either - chicken meal as the only source, what is that? Corn is worthless as was already mentioned by others here.

Not sure what your budget is but you might want to look at dogfoodanalysis.com and dogfoodproject.com to get more information. Look for 5/6 star foods that are listed for puppies. Some choices are: Acana, Orijen, Horizon Legacy, Wellness. Also you might want to look into raw feeding. This forum has a whole section about it. Since raw feeding requires a good understanding of what and how you should feed, you might want to get some good advice there.

Another option to raw feeding is dehydrated raw food. So far The Honest Kitchen seems to have high quality foods in this category.

Good luck!

o thanks for acting like I don't care about my dog sorry I took the advice of others. thats what I hate bout some people on these forums just asking for advice instead of criticism

thanks for your advice anyways

I was not criticizing you at all by no means. I want to apologize if I came across that way. I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that there are better food choices out there. I was in your shoes not long ago. My breeder was feeding her dogs Science Diet, which is a low quality food. Had I not asked around, listened to my vet and did some research, I would still be feeding my pup that food. Again sorry, it was not my intention to offend you...

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

Here is a link to a site that shows you how to rate the food you are using and or may be considering. Maybe this will help you.

http://pets.families.com/blog/grade-your-dog-food

I have used Eagle Pack Holistic for or pups and adult dogs with excellent results for a quarter of a century and am very pleased with it. If it fits your budget and you do a change perhaps you might like to try that brand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast