Whelping Question
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whelping Question

Rosie's Mom is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhelping Question

Hi, Our lab is due this weekend with her first litter. She is a very laid back girl who loves to be near us so I am wondering if its ok to put her whelping box near our kitchen. I keep reading to put it in a quiet corner in a private room, but I feel like she would rather be close to us. Anyone have feedback to this? Also- what is the best material to line the box with? I have read so many different things. Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Don't you have a reputable breeder mentoring you? They should be able to guide you through the process.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

A family friend had pug who had babies. They made a quiet closed off space in their second living room when she was due. If you spend a lot of time in the kitchen I would say make a space in there. If you have a small breakfast table you could put a blanket over it and make a space under it for her. It can be comforting to them to be near you if they have that bond with you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

spiritedfilly115 is offline Senior Member
    LONG TIME MEMBER from Waaaay back when. Location changes often, .... NC, SC, CA, NY, CO, KY, +

I have no advice on whelping puppies, I don't breed, but I hope it goes well.
    And I hope someone here does step up and answer your questions.

If not, call your vet and ask for advice.
    Good luck with mom and babies.

Rosie's Mom is offline Junior Member

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback! Our vet and the vet who owned the Sire are both being very helpful, I just like getting as many everyday experiences as I can.

justine is offline Senior Member

There is a lot of valuable information here: Articles, particularly on the lower righthand side under Breeding/Buying Puppies.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Is your dog a pet or is she a show dog or field trial/hunting dog? Have you cleared her (Hips and Elbows, heart, eyes, EIC) through more than just your vet? Is she an accomplished dog (championship of some sort)?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

What do the breeding books you bought say on the subject? What does the breeder of your bitch have to say?

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Here's the truth. You may be #1 to your girl right now, but when those pups come, her priorities will change.

Put her in a quiet, easy to clean space, away from other dogs and constant interruption, for at least 3-4 weeks.

Then, when they are crapping like mighty poop machines, put them in your kitchen. It's very sanitary that way.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Shelley is offline Senior Member

Hi Rosie's mom,
    Do you know anyone that has had a litter before? Does your breeder live nearby to help you? Breeding can be really scary, dangerous and expensive. You need someone with experience to assist you, so you know if your girl is progressing normally or not, and if/when she is in trouble. There are life threatening emergencies that can occur with whelping a litter, both for the mother and the puppies, and you need to know the signs. The link that Justine supplied is a good one, but also having someone there, that has experience is paramount. Is your vet a good resource? Did you do progesterone timing, so you know when she is due? I am hoping that both parents are health tested, and that this breeding was well thought out and planned for.

I put the whelping box in a back bedroom, where it is quiet, darkened, secure, and away from the other dogs. if the mom doesn't feel safe, she won't settle with her babies. I even put a sheet part way over the top box so it feels "den-like" for a few days after whelping. Does your whelping box have a bottom? Mine does not, so I have a remnant sheet of linoleum underneath it, then some old but clean comforters over that, a waterproof layer, then more comforters or blankets and towels on top of that so it is well padded. When babies start coming, I leave the waterproof layer down, but add towels and chux type disposable pads, (I found mine at K-mart in the incontinence aisle). Newspaper is also very absorbent. When is she due?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast