Torn ACL options
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Torn ACL options

  1. #1
    twolabz's Avatar
    twolabz is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7

    DefaultTorn ACL options (update pics)

    Hello,
    I'm new to the forum, I have a 8 year old black lab that is about 105lbs and he was just diagnosed with a torn acl in his right knee back leg.
    My question is is there any options besides surgery. I really can't afford to spend 3500+. I can pay half up front and then make payments, They said that by the xrays his right leg may have a small tear also. I don't want him to suffer he is a great dog and me and the wife love him alot. If I fix the one and then the other one gets torn I really wouldn't be able to do the surgery. Just wondering if there are any options. Here's a couple pics of the big fella, can you say spoiled.

    Thanks Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by twolabz; 11-12-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: update

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    KenZ71's Avatar
    KenZ71 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    106

    Default

    A neighbor of mine put his 8 year old on some Meds instead of surgery for the same issue.

    Sorry, don't know the name of the Meds.
    Max's favorite place, a walk through a state park with the kids


    Max Born February 2012, Adopted May 2012....

  4. #3
    Razor3928 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    22

    Default

    My first lab tore his ACL in his left rear and we just gave him some pain medsand NSAID type of meds for dogs. He seemed to get better but during the first big snow he lost his footing and his right ACL went and he was in Intense pain The Orthopedic surgeon said that we should have taken care of the left rear leg sooner because my lab got used to carrying the weight on his right to compensate and we had to do both legs which was very expensive. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but see if you can make a deal with your surgeon before it gets worse. This is just one man's opinion and I am sure some breeders can weigh in with some good advice

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Samson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    21,293

    Default

    The option is to leave it until he is crippled with arthritis.

    i too considered the leave it option but it's not really an option at all. Get the boy his TPLO and cross the other bridge when you come to it is my advice.

    it is expensive but so worth it when you see the results.

  7. #5
    kassabella's Avatar
    kassabella is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wellington New Zealand
    Posts
    9,926

    Default

    What has your vet suggested. I would do what they suggest as they have seen you and your dog.

    My vet doesn't do surgery unless it is completely torn, or a tear doesn't heal. Erns has HD in both hips and so when he had a partial tear a year ago was bit of a worry. We tried crate rest for 6 weeks, meds and he came right with a long slow build up after.

    I thought this was hard enough until 6 weeks ago Tessa ruptured hers. A rupture you can not leave...well you could, but the dog would never walk properly again and the longer the higher chance arthritis sets in. I was told they needed to do surgery with a few days.

    ETA. I am sure Tessa wil be able to do a lot more when she recovers from the surgery. With Erns we are always careful due to his hips, but we have to be extra careful with his knees.
    Last edited by kassabella; 10-23-2012 at 06:14 AM.

    Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

  8. #6
    bearbuddymarie's Avatar
    bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,453

    Default

    there is a less expensive option called
    tightrope or something like that

    there is also care credit, see if your vet takes that
    Buddy 11


    bella 5


    Bruno 3

  9. #7
    javasmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,663

    Default

    Welll, you can do the surgery and have an active dog again. The traditional repair type of surgery generally runs about $1500-$1800. Alot less than TPLO (which judging by the cost estimate you are giving is the option your surgeon gave you).
    Or, you can not do the surgery and have a crippled dog in about 9-12 months. If you choose not to do the surgery, you should restrict him to leashed potty walks and that's it. Let him rest and try to build up some scar tissue to help stabilize the knee a little. Of course, with scar tissue comes arthritis.......

    First suggestion though-no matter which decision you make-would be to get some weight off of him.
    105 lbs is ALOT to carry on bum knees.
    Slim him down.

  10. #8
    twolabz's Avatar
    twolabz is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Thanks for all the info
    Well we have decided to do the surgery. I want him to be healthy and active. It looks like it will happen Nov.9th.

  11. #9
    javasmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twolabz View Post
    Thanks for all the info
    Well we have decided to do the surgery. I want him to be healthy and active. It looks like it will happen Nov.9th.
    Good luck!
    Please keep us updated!

  12. #10
    Samson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    21,293

    Default

    Are you going for the TPLO ? Either way, good luck and best wishes for successful recovery.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What are my options?
    By lcarroll in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-21-2010, 11:51 AM
  2. Help with diet and options
    By nmhmadison in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-23-2009, 11:46 PM
  3. Options for Wesley - What would you do??
    By Chester B. Dickens in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-05-2007, 12:15 PM
  4. non-surgical options for HD
    By imported_gabbys mom in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2007, 02:07 PM
  5. Low on options....allergies
    By roccolya in forum Lab Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-09-2006, 11:43 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25