Peanut Butter at what age and what is limit?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peanut Butter at what age and what is limit?

DefaultPeanut Butter at what age and what is limit?

I see suggestions of peanut butter used in the Kongs... Lucic is 8 weeks old, is he too young to try the peanut butter, if not how much is too much daily/weekly and has anyone had issues with loose stools after feeding peanut butter?

On a separate note, I have read that puppies should not get treats until 10 weeks of age... any thoughts?
    ~Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

We used treats for Sophie before 10 weeks. We used them for training mostly. We bought some yogurt snacks she loved at the pet store. We also used cheese and jerky. Peanut butter is rich in oil, protein and fatty acids. These ingredients along with vitamins such as H and K give dogs a shiny coat. Vitamin E helps your dog's immune system, which helps to fight off many diseases. Moderation is key when it comes to safely feeding a dog peanut butter. Too much peanut butter causes obesity in dogs. Our Sophie hates peanut butter. At first when we offered it, she would sort of lick it, but now she sniffs it and looks at me like "forget it". I would probably not give peanut butter every day if I were you. I would save it for special treats.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Mya has an unbridled passion for peanut butter......but she only gets it about once a month. I did just makes some homemade treats that have PB in them.
    Above all else, imo labs need to be kept slim for their own sake, so feed/treat accordingly.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Monna is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jane View Post
    Above all else, imo labs need to be kept slim for their own sake, so feed/treat accordingly.
    I absolutely agree! It's really not hard to make sure labs are at a healthy weight, and it is MUCH better for them in the long run.

I occasionally give our adult boys peanut butter in their Kongs probably about once a month. I also make sure I buy a variety that has no sugar or salt, I figure that has to be much better for them than the standard peanut butter.

Not that I know for sure, but I would presume it would be ok to give peanut butter at 8 weeks, as long as it is in moderation.
    Charlie and Beau... Brotherly Love

Quote Originally Posted by Monna View Post
    I also make sure I buy a variety that has no sugar or salt
    I will try the fresh made/ground peanut butter, hoping its not the sugar that dogs are craving...
    ~Paul

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

They love cream cheese too. Just don't give cheese too often due to calcium content. I use it for special treats, and to get meds down Sophie.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    Just don't give cheese too often due to calcium content
    Is calcium bad for dogs?
    ~Paul

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by EpicStageFright View Post
    Is calcium bad for dogs?
    No - it's essential for growth, but if you are feeding a quality puppy food (which has the correct amount of calcium in the formula) you should not add any calcium (in cheese form or yogurt form or as a supplement) or you may very well have excessive growth which can lead to joint problems.

On the peanut butter - I would give an 8 week old very minimal quanities if at all. For treats, you can use the kibble you feed at meals. I assume you are using treats while training as rewards.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

labby is offline Senior Member

I just have to wonder why people feel it's necessary to "treat" a puppy for good behavior. Why not just use the sound of your voice and praise? Dogs don't need a treat when they potty. A "good dog!" and a rub works fine.

I can honestly say I have never stuffed a kong or anything else for a dog to keep them busy. I just don't get it.

Laura

dogmom is offline Senior Member

What Labby said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast