Moms 1 year old puppy got killed by a car, how can I help her?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moms 1 year old puppy got killed by a car, how can I help her?

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

DefaultMoms 1 year old puppy got killed by a car, how can I help her?

She was out at a class while her husband was home with electrician. Something happened and the puppy got out the front door. Step dad went out to get her, almost had her when a car came up the street and she ran for it and got hit, she died instantly. I drove 2 hours to be here with her. She blames her husband and hates him right now. She won't stop crying for hours saying "she will wake up just you see" "dayanu I have your treats, come find mommy" so on and so on. She even climbed into the crate crying saying "mommies hiding come find me" I hate that she is going through this and I can only be here till tomorrow. She finally fell asleep. I just don't know what to do if there is anything I can do. Please I need any help I can get, this is killing me to see her like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

What a tragic accident. So sorry for all of you. No advice just hoping she'll get better once the shock is worn off.

Thank you, I hope so too. I hate seeing her go through this, she was just a puppy only 15 months old. I just don't know how she will get past this after seeing her tonight. I am afraid of what will come from this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lovedogs is offline Member

Very sorry to hear that. Hugs to her and prayers in this rough time.

labby is offline Senior Member

The only thing you can do is be there for her while she goes through her grief. Sometimes just listening is enough. Hopefully she'll sort it all out for herself.

Laura

Thank you everyone for your kind words.
    She is better today I think, she has accepted the puppy's death (rather than saying she will wake up over and over) and has decided to do a photo book of her. We are also having a pendant made with the pups paw print to help her.
    I believe she has decided in a month to find a fully trained adult therapy dog. To me this seems the best thing for her, I know it won't replace her baby that she raised for the last year but I hope it can help make her feel better, someplace to put all that love.
    If anyone else knows anything I can do please let me know. I do live 2 hours away (will be heading home tonight) and I just wish I could take all her pain away.
    Thank you again.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry. This is so heart breaking. Nothing anyone can say will help. It does get better over time. I still cry for my lost Maggiemay and its been a yr and a half. I don't think I would have gotten to where I am now if not for getting Sophie. She saved me. Another dog may help your mom as well.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Gerrly is offline Member

I agree with Pam; although new dogs don't replace the old dog or take the pain away completely, they do help us heal. I think it's a good idea for your mom to get an adult dog rather than going through the puppy phase so quickly after just finishing that stage with her last pup.
    -Donna
    Indy (6/18/12) & Sonar (Gerrly) (10/7/98-6/9/11)

Thank you again. To her it was her baby girl, not just a dog. I know getting another dog does help and I hope she follows through with it.
    There are so many things you can do now to remember your pets. The company that handles the cremation will take a paw print of your baby and can turn it into a pendant for a neck less, which we are having done. I hope this will help as well.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Since your mom looked at her as her baby, perhaps another puppy would be a good choice. Maybe a little bit older pup, but still a pup. Some older dogs are set in their ways, and your mom may want her dog to be her baby. I remember thinking I just wanted the pain to stop when Maggie died. I cried all the time. We got Sophie about 4 weeks later. While I was still sad, Sophie was such a bundle of joy and kept us all busy and that really helped. I wish you luck in whatever you decide.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast