A puppy full of surprises, need advice!

Thread: A puppy full of surprises, need advice!

Newpuppyownersami is offline Senior Member

DefaultA puppy full of surprises, need advice!

So many of you know the story's of my 4 month old lab mix Hera. Yesterday we realized she had tapeworms, took her to the vet today and they gave me Drontal Plus 22.7mg tablets that she takes all at once (gave them to her about 2 and half hours ago like I was told, she also got her last puppy shots today yay) and I was wondering if anyone had experience with this. How long did it take till the worms were gone? Did your pup leave worms everywhere or just in the poo? I saw the worms come out of her butt (ewwwww lost appetite for hours and had nightmares last night lol) before the vet. They said they will be dead so will they just fall out or something?
    Also, few days ago while cuddling with puppy I felt a bump under her arm, thought it was a mole since she has so many. Today while outside I saw it and it was a tick (more ewww)! So many surprises! My dad has pulled many ticks out of his dog (common where they live) so I knew how; tweasers as close to he skin as possible, don't pinch to hard, pull slowly. So I got the tick out (I'm freaking out now, even had husband check my hair) and put it in a baggy and through it away outside, it was still alive so I'm sure I got the head. Cleaned puppy with hydrogen peroxide. I'm worried if she got it from our yard, we live in the desert. What do you guys use to prevent ticks? She still has a bump where it was but figure it is from the tick being there for so long, don't even know how long. I checked her after and gave her a bath and she is clean no more ticks.
    All these bugs got me jumpy now and I just don't want to have to worry about them so what should I use to prevent this from happening again?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I would put her on Advantix II. It works to prevent fleas and ticks and keeps mosquitos from biting. It is a topical treatment you use monthly. You can buy it at the vet or most pet stores. We bought a 4 month supply for $56 at Mini Pet Mart. The worm meds work really well. She will poop out the dead ones. We have had to worm Sophie twice since her puppy worming. Dogs get worms from swallowing fleas, so evidentally your girl has fleas. They are bad for her and can infest your house really fast. Since you have had her a couple of weeks, I would spray the house with Flea Raid. It is in a purple can and works great. Fleas live in the bottom 2 ft of your house, so you don't need a flea bomb. They don't work that well anyway. Don't worry if you left the head of the tick. Our last girl had one that the head broke off and our vet told us not to worry. She said her body will seal it off and she may have a little bump for awhile. She did get a bump that eventually went away. Good luck!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Often dogs come out of rescues and shelters with tapeworms - it is not necessarily an indicator of fleas in your current environment, she was probably exposed to a dog with either fleas or feces from a dog with tapeworm.

If you follow the vets instruction you will be OK. Do inspect her to see if she has fleas (you can comb backwards with a narrow toothed comb and if there is black reside on the comb you have fleas). Then I would treat the house.

You can treat for ticks and fleas using the med Pam recommends above or wait to see if you really have a problem there. Do you have a lot of ticks and fleas in the high desert?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you. We live in the high desert, it is hot and dry and the vet said fleas can not really survive in this weather so she most likely had it from the shelter. I have looked anyway didn't find any and we have 3 cats and none of them are itchy or anything. They Sid she could also get it from eating some small animal carcas so who knows. She was a stray and we got her from the shelter. Over looked the paperwork from that and they "dewormed" her the day I brought her home but the vet says the stuff they use sucks. So far so good, she did poop some out (eww) I picked it up right away in a bag and through it away. I will keep an eye cause some people said it could continue for a few days.
    I will have to get the Adventix stuff you guys mentioned. I hate ticks and really don't want them on her lol, I've had them, no fun. Thank you!

Not sure about ticks in the area, just want to be safe cause I know they carry diseases.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Regular worming does not kill tapeworms. My rescue Dutch Shepherd had tapeworms just like your puppy. Back then (97) they used an injection to kill the worms (2 separate shots). She never had another issue after we resolved it. Do be sure to clean up her poop right away - some may come out alive and if she's a poop eater she can reinfect all over again.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

They all seemed dead when I picked it up I just want it gone lol I've leaned the house so many times in the last few days and washed all her stuff.