Levi's skin problem - dry, scabs

Thread: Levi's skin problem - dry, scabs

ezekiel274 is offline Junior Member

DefaultLevi's skin problem - dry, scabs

I have a 10 month old chocolate lab - Levi. He has started having dry skin within the past 3 months as a pup. The dry skin is all over but the scabs are only in his elbows/armpit area. We live in Florida so it's still fairly warm still. Right now he is eating purina one puppy food. His skin doesn't seem to itch, especially where a few of the little scabs are under his chest and arm pit that I have found. Any idea what it might be? Psoriasis? Dermatitis or a yeast infection? I'm going to try some chlorehexidine shampoo to see if that helps since its still relatively localized.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Diagnosis of your dog's skin condition needs to be done by a vet - no one here is going to be able to do that.

Some thoughts: If his skin is dry - bathing is not going to help. He may do better with the addition of some fish oil (they sell this for dogs at pet food stores or you can just use the human capsules). If you have been frequently bathing him that could be the source of his problems. Labs do not need bathing unless they have rolled in something stinky/dead.

The food you are feeding him is not quality. If you can get him on Purina Pro-Plan that would be a better choice than what you are feeding now. He is too old to be on puppy food - you can put him on adult food now.

The location of the scabs indicates to me that he is scratching himself there.

Lastly - does he have fleas? That will drive all of the symptoms you have here.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Yeast infection will have a smell. I would see a vet. I would be careful with the shampoo as it could cause more itching. If it is yeast you need to make sure the fur is dry. Any dampness will cause more yeast.

Whatever it is I would get vet treamtent and stick with it what the vet says. Tessas previous owners didn't and now we are having a lot of problems trying to control it.

Let us know how you get on.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Has he had any ear infections? Allergies often present as ear infections as well. The sores look a lot like flea allergy dermatitis. If you google it, there is lots of pictures. Some dogs are very allergic and even the saliva from one flea bite can trigger a reaction in some dogs. I would treat for fleas. AdvantixII works really well. I would see a vet, a skin infection often requires an antibiotic to clear up. Sophie had this, and we put her on antibiotics and switched her to a grain free diet and it cleared right up. Good luck.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Thanks for all of your feedback.He is on flea medicine so I don't think that's the culprit. I noticed that the scaley scab did have a fowl smell. I have an appointment with the vet this morning so we will see what he says. I am going to up his diet as well. Ill let y'all know what the vet says. Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like its a bacterial infection. The vet put him on some antibiotics and said that along with the chlorehexidine shampoo will help it clear up.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

The bacterial infection came from the scratching. The breaks in the skin allowed bacteria to get in. That is why he needs antibiotics. That doesn't address what caused the scratching in the first place. I think you need to try to figure out why the itching started, or it will happen again. Often it is flea allergy or environmental or food allergy. Sometimes dry skin. Good luck.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye