Irritated skin on leg

Thread: Irritated skin on leg

matiekorgan is offline Senior Member

DefaultIrritated skin on leg

Hi Everyone!

I've just noticed that Harper has this irritated skin on his front left leg, on the inside, under between his "arm pit" and knee (and only that leg, I checked all the others). I noticed it because he was sort of gnawing on it, and so it was all wet! The skin has been broken a bit in a few spots, but I can't tell whether this is what is causing his gnawing, or whether he's broken the skin.

I can't find any other sore patches on him at all, there are no fleas or anything like that on him, and I haven't noticed him itching at any other places on his body.

He's in his crate with a Nylabone and another treat ball thing to chew on, so I'm hoping it's not just a "something to do" self perpetuating cycle - like first it really was itchy, then he got satisfaction by licking it, and it's just going on from there.

Does this sound like anything you guys might know about? Is there anything I can put on him to stop him getting at it to give it a chance to clear up, or is a vet trip in order?

Thanks for any advice!
    Katie & Harper
    Soccorullus Corey Boy, our "Harper" 31.08.09

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

matiekorgan is offline Senior Member

Thumbs upUPDATE!!!

Just wanted to bump this, because there has been an update.

Harper's scratching at himself got to a point where he was scratching and gnawing at himself about 50% of the time, and for LONG stints, and he opened up a few areas of skin, so we decided to take him to the vet.

The vet gave a skin swab and couldn't find any mites or fleas, he couldn't find any rash. There are a few unusual bumps on his tummy and near his "boy bits", which the doctor said could perhaps be staph related.

He gave us a few things to try:
    - antihistamines
    - antibiotics
    - antiseptic cream with a local anesthetic for the open wounds
    - medicated wash to wash his areas where the skin is flaked (but not broken)

I know this seems a bit random, like "try this, try that", but he assured me that if there is no improvement in 2 weeks (when our Puppy Classes finish) he'll do everything he can to find the source of the itching - he just didn't want to put such a young pup through all sorts of testing if it was unnecessary.

Also, I'm pulling him off the dry food (we've been feeding Pro Plan LB Puppy, as recommended by the breeder), so he's now eating RMB, veg mush and some (only SOME, not much) brown rice, as I feel he's looking a little thin. Obviously I need to do a lot more reading on RMB and raw diets, but it's something I've been interested in since before we brought Harper home, and we have a GREAT supplier near by who also feed raw, and also a stockist of the Dr B's premade BARF.

Just wanted to let you guys know, and I'll keep you up to date on how Harpey-poo is going. I was actually in tears at how much he was scratching, thinking of how uncomfortable the poor thing is.
    Katie & Harper
    Soccorullus Corey Boy, our "Harper" 31.08.09