1o yr dog w/ Chronic Diarrhea

Thread: 1o yr dog w/ Chronic Diarrhea

0lli3NDi3SE1 is offline Junior Member

Default1o yr dog w/ Chronic Diarrhea

I have 4 dogs- all of them except my doberman, Lily are pooping fine. About 1.5 months ago her poop was all good- nice and hard formed ez to pick up in the yard. Now Lily's poop is yellow to terracotta colored and consistency of oatmeal/mash potatoes. About a month ago we started giving all of them better food because of her Diarrhea problem. nothing has changed. she eats the same 4 cups per day, plenty of water etc... we use rachel rays nutrish and have since switched over to her other food just 6. same consistency on lamb-beef or chicken formulas

she hasnt had any accidents inside -its just a pain to try and pick this slop up withe the pooper scooper. i dont have any money for a vet. i dont know if she has a bug of some sort? as the other dogs are fine. there is no blood in stools either. maybe the enzymes and bacteria are off and and some yogurt is in order to reintall intestinal flora? average life expectancy of doberman's is about 9 so she's running on extra. doesent appear lethargic- outside she plays and gallops like a thoroughbred after my 11 month old lab ollie. she is getting that withered in the hinds look that i've seen with my mini pins when they aged.- also cancer is a factor with dobermans- maybe thats the onset? i've even tried rice with her too. i have had success with that other times when any of them got the shits.
    anyone have any ideas- i know antibiotics might help- but they work on the same premise that a probiotic would work in this case. not the same antibiotic for wounds and cuts etc..

other than the yogurt- any other home food remedies to fight diarrhea? if she was human -tea toast and some bananas!!! and an immodium pill
    Last edited by 0lli3NDi3SE1; 10-06-2012 at 12:29 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just plain pumpkin) will add fiber and may help. Maybe the food is too rich? Seems like a lot of kcals for a senior dog, IMO.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

0lli3NDi3SE1 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just plain pumpkin) will add fiber and may help. Maybe the food is too rich? Seems like a lot of kcals for a senior dog, IMO.
    Thank you for your feed back. What are kcals? Calories? Meaning too rich , how? protein wise? I grew sugar pumpkins that i have available now- should i grind 1 up into a pasty pulp for her. or is canned better? should i serve it as is or stir into dog food? and the whole cn at 1 feeding or mixed in over a few?

thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Whether you have money for the vet or not, this dog needs to see a vet. Try at first just to bring in a stool sample and let the vet run everything including a giardia test. If the stool comes up negative, then this dog needs a complete blood panel to determine what is going on. Diarrhea is a symptom. You can treat it all you want to with pumpkin but if you don't get an the underlying cause, it will continue to come back and with a dog 10 years old, that could be fatal.

Laura