How do you know how much to feed?

Thread: How do you know how much to feed?

Jilian is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow do you know how much to feed?

Our dog is 2.5yrs and 85 lbs. We rescued him last Saturday and because he had been staying at a doggie daycare for a few days and another foster from the rescue brought him to meet us they weren't 100% sure what he had been eating. They suggested Purina one and we went with Welness instead. We feed welness 5 complete for healthy coat. So far his stools have been good (although his last one was slightly soft at the end) and he's going 1-2 times a day. The rescue said 4 cups of purina one (2 cups twice a day) but the Welness guidelines called for 3 cups based on his weight, so that is what he's been getting. The vet report from the rescue said he could stand to lose 5 or so lbs. We've been getting him lots of excercise to help take care of that. Do you think we're feeding him enough? He finishes his bowl of food in about a minute flat. I know he'd probably eat 5 bowls if I let him. How do you know if your dog is getting enough to eat?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

by their weight and energy. if the dog is loosing weight (and it doesn't need to) you feed more. if the dog puts on weight, you feed less. If a dog needs to loose wegiht you feed less until they lose it (you can fill with green beans, no salt added).

the guideline on the bag is a good starting point (since you have to start with something!)

Different foods will require different quantities. Some have more fillers and useless stuff so you need to feed more. others are richer so you feed less. and sometimes it just depends on the dog!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

One of my Labs gets 2 cups of Wellness CORE a day and the other one gets 4.5 cups. Both are adults. Very different metabolisms. 3 cups a day is a good place to start.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KenZ71 is offline Senior Member

My guy loves raw Baby Carrots he seems to only digest half the carrot so I view that as "Good filler" that won't add to his weight.
    Max's favorite place, a walk through a state park with the kids

Max Born February 2012, Adopted May 2012....

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Start at 3, the worst thing that could happen is the dog loses the 5# it needs to. If it needs more food later on, then you can up it.

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Koivu is the same age and 90 lbs. I'm looking to keep him at around 90 lbs and am feeding him Fromm currently. He gets 3-4 cups/day depending on activity level divided into 2 meals. Each cup is about 422 calories. When I switch between flavors or brands (I also feed Acana some) I try to keep the total calories the same.
    If he seems extra hungry I supplement with defrosted frozen green beans and/or spring mix (my dog is a freak and begs for lettuce).
    You'll find the perfect amount for your boy soon, it just takes a little time

Jilian is offline Senior Member

Thanks. We'll stick with the 3 cups and see what his weight is at the vet in a few weeks. He's getting lots of little treats with his training now too.