10m Has been throwing up around 6am every morning

Thread: 10m Has been throwing up around 6am every morning

wheels1388 is offline Junior Member

Default10m Has been throwing up around 6am every morning

We have a 10m old choc lab who has been throwing up each morning between 6-620am for the past few days. We recently switched his food but hes has it before without issues. No soft stool or any gas. Hes very active and is fine all day. The puke has been a darker brown liquid no non digested food in the puke. We have been giving him raw hides which sometimes there are little chunks. Other research has shown possibly needing food before bed which we tried and still no lick, tapworms or a digestive issue. Does anyone have any ideas or directions of what to do from this point? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I apologize for any spelling errors. Phones these days..

my2labs is offline Senior Member

I don't give rawhides because my older lab would swallow bigger chunks and get sick. Our vet was not a big fan of them either. We have started giving natural bullysticks (Don't get the ones from Target as they have been recalled) that digest quicker if swallowed in larger parts. This same older lab use to get sick and throw up yellow bile in the mornings and our vet said it was because she went to bed on an empty stomach and the stomach acid on an empty stomach really affected her so we gave her something to eat right before bed. You said you have tried feeding before bed but still have the same issue. It might be something you bring up with your vet and find out other remedies to try. Good luck.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd contact the vet. And - JMO - but a steady diet of rawhide can't be healthy. They don't have any food value. I don't feed them to my dogs at all - but - if I did it would be once every few weeks at most.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

To start I would probably try feeding half a cup of kibble before bed and NOT giving rawhide for a little while. Well, personally i don't trust rawhide but I know others do.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

justine is offline Senior Member

I agree with Tanya about trying a small amount of food before bed. A lot of dogs cannot tolerate rawhides (they upset their stomach or don't digest properly), so maybe cut those out for a couple of weeks and see if that helps.

Thank you all for the feedback. We have tried giving him a half cup of food before bed which we did last night answer it still happened. I guess the next step is try the no rawhide for awhile. I will post again tomorrow with the results.

justine is offline Senior Member

Also, what time are you feeding him his other meals? It might work for you if you feed him dinner a bit later, give a snack before bed and feed breakfast earlier? Not sure - it would depend on your current schedule.

Some dogs do OK on medication for too much stomach acid - would be worth a shot to go to the vet and get the correct dosing info.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Take him off the rawhide, it is really not good for him - no nutritional value and can cause intestinal blockages. What are his meal times? Even if giving a snack before bed doesn't help, depending on how far apart meals are spaced the meal times could be the issue. You could also try giving him a stuffed kong before bed as it is a gradual feed if you make it difficult enough - only issue with that is the noise.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Rawhides are not good for dogs, and can be dangerous. Labs can chomp off chunks and that's not good. Plus some come from China and other countries that have issues with salmonella and other things. Read labels, make sure nothing is coming from China. I would check with the vet about this, especially since it has gone on for several days.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye