Puppy food conundrum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy food conundrum

zonapups is offline Senior Member

QuestionPuppy food conundrum

The pups are 23 weeks and we are on the 3rd switching of food on the food roller coaster. We went Iams Puppy to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy to Blue Buffalo Puppy Chicken and Rice to now Earthborn Puppy Vantage. I still have gassy puppies with soft poop! The vet wants us to keep them both on puppy food till 9 months then we can switch them to adult. We've ruled out parasites and other health problems. Vet said its the food and to try another food. She doesn't think its a grain problem as they aren't showing any of the typical signs you would see if it was a problem(i.e. ear infections, scratching, coat problems, etc). I want to try them on something that doesn't have chicken in it but I'm striking out. Anyone aware of any puppy foods that don't have chicken and aren't a Diamond brand? I know Blue Buffalo has a Turkey and Rice puppy version but we've been down the Blue Buffalo line with no luck and I'm hesitant to try it.

Should we try the Blue Buffalo Turkey and Rice puppy version? Or is there another brand that carries a puppy food without chicken?

Leo and Zoey - born 4/21/12. The loves of my life (other than the hubby)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

smokey is offline Senior Member

I don't know if you would be interested in Pro Plan, there is a lamb and rice puppy food. My puppy does very well on Pro Plan, his poops have been normal, he has had no tummy upset at all. We tried Innova and he had really loose stools. The breeder fed a brand that isn't available near me so we had to find something else that worked for him.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

You have tried so many different foods it is possible that is your problem. Have you spoken to their breeder? Have you tried adding a spoonful of PLAIN pumpkin with each meal? Changing their food so many times is just not the best idea. I hope you are able to find something that works and stick with it! Good luck to you.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zonapups View Post

Should we try the Blue Buffalo Turkey and Rice puppy version?
    No. Obviously, or at least it should be, the Blue Buffalo foods don't agree with the puppies. Switch back to the Iams. You didn't have any issues did you? So why are you continuing to switch foods? Let me guess, someone either a "food expert" or website told you that the Iams wasn't any good, right?

Laura

jrwheeler is offline Junior Member

Wow, that's a LOT of food changes in such a short amount of time. I would find one food that works and stick with it. Food changes in puppies that young can cause all kinds of problems, mainly gas and digestive upset, which sounds like what you're experiencing now. Puppies have extremely sensitive digestive systems as they're not fully developed yet and they are very sensitive to any changes in diet, especially changes that aren't done gradually over a period of time. All 3 of our dogs (a Lab and 2 goldens) have all been raised on Pro Plan with absolutely no problems at all. They have very shiny coats, firm and small stools, and they're all as healthy as can be. Our vet always comments on how great they look.

Was there a reason why you took them off the Iams? If they were doing perfectly fine on the Iams puppy food, I would go right back to that. Don't pay any attention to those dog food rating web sites. They mean absolutely nothing. They even give Pro Plan horrible reviews, yet a huge number of champion show dogs and dog athletes are fed Pro Plan because of the excellent results it provides. You have to choose a dog food based on your pup's response to it, not based on what all of these web sites say. If you're feeding Iams and your pups have solid stools, clean ears, clear eyes, good energy levels, and nice coats, then that is the food to stick with. My theory is don't fix what isn't broken.
    Last edited by jrwheeler; 09-30-2012 at 12:48 PM.

boggs is offline Junior Member

that is to much his body caint ajust to the food i agree with jrwheeler dont go by what people tell you what ever works well for your pup o and my 15 week old chocolate lab cody gets pro plan and does great on it good luck hope he gets better

Nutshell is offline Member

Fromm Puppy Gold is a great for for little ones. At almost 6 months why not try an all life stages food. They don't need puppy food. You need a moderate protein food with the appropriate calcuim and phosphorus levels. Good luck, I know it can be difficult.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Put the pups back on what they were eating at the breeders. You are harming them more than helping with all the changing. IAMS is a perfectly fine food.

Nutshell is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBrown View Post
    Put the pups back on what they were eating at the breeders. You are harming them more than helping with all the changing. IAMS is a perfectly fine food.
    Chicken, Corn Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Brewers Rice, Dried Beet Pulp,

First 6 ingridients of IAMS puppy. Maybe fine but not ideal...

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nutshell View Post
    Chicken, Corn Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Brewers Rice, Dried Beet Pulp,

First 6 ingridients of IAMS puppy. Maybe fine but not ideal...
    What do you suggest? Keep the puppies on the roller coaster and affect their health and growth?

Seriously, where did people come up with the idea that a 'better' food on paper is better even if the dogs don't do well?
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast