anyone here using adequan injections for arthritis?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone here using adequan injections for arthritis?

bman's mom is offline Member

Defaultanyone here using adequan injections for arthritis?

Is anyone on here currently using adequan injections? My Molly is only 8 yrs. but has arthritis in all four legs. Glucosamine for the past few months has done nothing. She's worse than her aunt Jessa was at 13yrs. We started adequan this week. Just wanted to know if anyone else ever used it and what the results were. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

There are several members that use them for their dogs with wonderful results. I sure help they help your Molly, that is so sad that she has such severe arthritis at 8 yrs. old. Sending good thoughts her way.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thanks for your good wishes, we will see if it helps Molly. I have to do something for her, she's not that old. If I don't I'll be putting her down before she's 10.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Hopefully one of the members that do use the shots and know more about them will see your post and can give you some detailed info. I have heard some wonderful stories. You could contact "kassabella" or "javasmom" as I know that both of them get these injections for their dogs. I am not sure how many posts you have to have in order to PM a member. I am sorry I am not able to give you more help.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Just plain glucosamine rarely works just on it's own. You need to use it in combination with chondrotin, MSM, and even hylauranic acid for it to be really effective with a dog that has problems. PLUS you need to make sure the dosage is high enough. 1500-2000mg of G a day, same of chondrotin, 1000 mg of MSM...I have good luck with Canine Hylasport.

We only used adequan injections after one of our dogs had elbow surgery, though I hear of folks giving it regularly. It can be expensive though, even if you give it yourself.

Look into the hylasport....PupSup Supplements for Dogs!. If you call them, they will usually send out about a 2 week supply as a trial.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Oh, you want to add a high quality fish or salmon oil too. Looking into something like Grizzly Salmon oil.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I used Adequan for years on an old horse....kept her alive for years. I tried it on one of our dogs and it didn't do much. I hear that it really depends on the type of arthritis and which joints are involved. Unfortunately with Adequan you don't know unless you try it and you have to give it a number of injections before you know. Good Luck! I think it's well worth trying.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am sorry I didn't reply to your pm until now. I see now a couple of questions I asked..Excuse my brain this week not where it should be.

It takes a month for the injection to start working. You give them a set up once a week for 4 weeks. Then I can't remeber. Tess ruptured her ACL recently and is on her 3rd week of them.

Erns would not be here if it weren't for them.He has them monthly and by the 3rd week is hanging out for them, but monthly is the limit. Once he has it he walks much better between 24 and 36 hours.

Erns has been on Glucosamine, fish oil, Green lip muscle, and Synoquin (which is better then Rimadyl) and nothing helps like the injection swimming and keeping him moving. His bed is off the floor and I put a coat on him at night when it gets colder.

Swimming has made a huge difference to how he moves. I walk him 20 to 30 mins a day every day. If he doesn't move he stiffens up and can go down hill quite quickly.
    Vets told me it would be a miracle if he made it to 8. He is 11 at the end of November.

Hang in there. You are just starting the Adequan so give it time. Also anything else you might like to try. I know how hard it is to see them like this and each winter there are many times I think should I let him go, as I don't want him in pain, but we make it through. He started Tramadol this winter and another med which helps.

eta. If she is bad I would try Tramadol. I used to use it for bad days. Then this winter my vet came up with a plan of 1 week on Tramadol and 1-3 off to see if it made a difference. I hated the thought of this as I knew he would get to it one day. I give it to him at night and it has made a difference. We found the 1 week on 2 off worked.
    Last edited by kassabella; 10-19-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Chris - thanks for answering this for the op - I will also be using this info to see where we can go with my Harley. This is breaking my heart! THANKS AGAIN!

Many thanks for the reply, kassabella, it's good to hear that your dog is getting relief using this stuff. Molly is on a series of inj. starting with 2x/wk for 4 wks., then 1x/wk for 4 wks, then 1x eow for 4 wks. She's currently on her 7th inj. in the 2x/wk phase. Last Monday after her shot she was doing really well, starting to move smoother and more willingly. Tues. and Wed. a front moved through and she was back to being sore and unwilling to move. Today she seems to feel pretty good. I hope I am not just wishful thinking with this and seeing improvement simply because I want to. Molly cannot take Tramadol or any NSAIDs as she is currently on a chemotherapy regimen for mast cell cancer and will be for life, so I use gabapentin which seems to help her with pain. She's also been on glucosamine/chondroitin and fish oil for the past year. Unfortunately, she now has a squamous cell cancer on the top of her head, scheduled for surgery next Thursday. It seems as if we beat back one thing and something new takes it's place.

Throughout all her treatments, surgeries and injections, Molly has been a model patient and takes everything in stride. The hardest part of all this is that she is my husband's hunting partner and he now has to go hunting without her. She knows it's hunting season and she gets royally pissed off not to be included! I will be looking into hydrotherapy for her, my vet knows of several places in my area. Good to know that swimming is a big help too. Thanks so much for all the info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast