opinions on canidae?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opinions on canidae?

kaykay is offline Senior Member

Defaultopinions on canidae?

lamb and rice? i switched jayson to this and was wondering if anyone has opinions on this.
    Kristin

jayson

laika

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I passed on it for some reason - think they are linked (or were quite recently) to Diamond.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Why did you switch him?
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaykay is offline Senior Member

I wanted to feed him better food and he was having soft and runny stools on his previous food.
    Kristin

jayson

laika

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I have one of my dogs (Red, my co-own who is likely mine now), and think that it is a pretty decent food. I am switching him to the grain free versions when he finishes the current bag, and will likely include that in the rotation of nibbles that I feed my own dogs.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

justine is offline Senior Member

I just recently switched Kolby to Canidae PureLand. It is one of their grain-free formulas and he is doing really well on it. He has more energy and it seems to be helping him keep his weight. He was previously on Natural Balance, but he was losing weight on it despite the amount of food he was eating. The Canidae PureLand has slightly higher protein and fat content than the NB, so I think that's part of it. It is not a cheap food at $58/bag, but it's worth it for me. Kolby doesn't tolerate chicken well, so this formula is based on bison and lamb for protein.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
    I wanted to feed him better food and he was having soft and runny stools on his previous food.
    Gotcha. Bauer didn't do well on it, but Bauer didn't do well on Taste of the Wild, Acana, Blue Buffalo, and many others. He's just sensitive though.

I do think it's a good quality food, I hope Jayson does well on it.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

labby is offline Senior Member

Years ago I tried this food and wouldn't feed it again if it were given to me for free. My dogs totally fell apart; ear infections, coat falling out in chunks, foot licking, anal gland problems. I couldn't show them for almost a year due to this food.

Laura

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Not Lamb & rice, but been feeding ALS for ~14 yrs now. To all my "adults" (over 12 mos). Theyve done fine! All have passed OFAs, etc, w/ goods or excellents , no allergies etc. sure can't complain. I guess that covers about 4 -5 generations and ~12+ dogs at least on site.

PS That'd cover the 5 generations of CDX, JH++++ titled dogs w/ me so not like I've been able to hide much here. My feeling on food is, if the dog is an easy keeper, it'll probably do well on most any good brand. If he / she has allergies, not so much.... Such an open ended question.
    Last edited by windycanyon; 09-28-2012 at 02:51 AM.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

We feed Canidae grain free to Sophie. We rotate Pure Land and Pure Sea. She does well on it and seems to like it. Canidae used to be owned my Diamond, but is not any more. It is its own company called The Canidae Pet Food Co. Headquartered in California. They have had no recalls. We were feeding Sophie TOTW and during all the crazy recalls, we decided to research and find a food not in the Diamond Foods family. At first we fed California Naturals. Sophie seemed to tire of it pretty fast, so we switched to Canidae. She is doing great, her coat looks good and she eats it well. It is spendy. The PureLand formula is $37.90 for 15 lbs and the PureSea is $39.90. She has been on it for awhile, has gone through 3-15lb bags so far. Good luck! Here is a link to a rating site. Some people don't like them, but this site seems thorough. Canidae Grain Free Pure Dry Dog Food | Review and Rating
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast