How much excerise can I give my 8 month old lab?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: How much excerise can I give my 8 month old lab?

  1. #1
    April in SC's Avatar
    April in SC is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    9

    DefaultHow much excerise can I give my 8 month old lab?

    I wonder how much excerise can I give him? We walk 1.5 miles in the am and pm. He also goes to doggie daycare from 9am til 6pm 5x a week and training class for an hour on Tuesdays. He still has tons of energy and I feed him raw (if that makes a difference, I don't know). Is there anything I can do to help control his energy? Am I doing to much? He is my first lab so I really don't know what I am doing.
    Last edited by April in SC; 09-24-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    April
    Hunley 2/1/2012 Chocolate lab
    Dory 7/10/2012 Chug
    Sam 4/3/2011 Cocker Spaniel
    Gunner: My sweet Angel Boy, Cocker Spaniel 10/10/99-8/20/2012

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Sophiesmama's Avatar
    Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Labs are balls of energy! Playing lots of fetch helps. They need to run! Don't run with him tethered to you. It is hard on the joints and not good. Let him run on his own. Do you have a fenced area where he can run? Sophie runs like a bullet, and I often wonder when (if) she ever tires!
    ~Pam



    Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo


    8.5 mo.

    Sophie 15 months, with Skye

  4. #3
    Tanya is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,797

    Default

    while exericse is key for a young dog, the goal isn't to exercise until a dog just drops into a dead sleep at your feet It sounds like the dog is getting plenty (doggy daycare 5x a week is a lot!) so at this point I think it is more an issue of training him to "chill". He may just have gotten used to things being go-go-go (doggy daycare, training, walks) and wants it to remain go-go-go, he's possibly becoming an energy junky. I would start working on training him to enjoy relaxing in the house.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    mistarkos's Avatar
    mistarkos is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cyprus
    Posts
    1,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    Labs are balls of energy! Playing lots of fetch helps. They need to run! Don't run with him tethered to you. It is hard on the joints and not good. Let him run on his own. Do you have a fenced area where he can run? Sophie runs like a bullet, and I often wonder when (if) she ever tires!
    I was with the impression that it's not good for puppies to run until their bones grow to the full size. Isn't that right?




    If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

  7. #5
    BauersMom's Avatar
    BauersMom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    13,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistarkos View Post
    I was with the impression that it's not good for puppies to run until their bones grow to the full size. Isn't that right?
    The difference is forced exercise vs. unforced exercise. Letting them run on their own is fine and normal (they can stop whenever they want), forcing them to go on leashed runs is not good (they can't stop whenever they want).
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.


  8. #6
    mistarkos's Avatar
    mistarkos is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cyprus
    Posts
    1,118

    Default

    Roger!




    If dogs do not go to heaven, then I prefer to follow them where they go.

  9. #7
    Luvmydog2much's Avatar
    Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windsor Ontario
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    I think you're overdoing it.

    I tell my puppy families to expect from the puppy what you want from the dog. If you want him to relax at Jeopardy time when he's 3, relax him as a puppy. Crate him etc.

    You're teaching that puppy that he needs to be on the go all the time. Which will work well if that's what you want. But you will have to live with that the rest of his life.

    You are also forgetting about mental exercise. Physical is one thing, but it is exhausting for a dog to be using it's mind.
    Last edited by Luvmydog2much; 09-25-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held


    Rhys, Ruby and Nola

  10. #8
    Mirage is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mondsee, Austria
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I guess it´s easy to over-do it, I think we´re on the same path. Our dog is almost 10 months old and we currently live on a mountain which means any time Don Carlos goes out of the house he runs up and down slopes. He loves it and can´t get enough of it.

    He normally gets at least 1 hour of walking every day, most of the time going up, resting, going back down. Sometimes we take him on a longer hike where we walk up for 2,5hours, rest for an hour or so and walk back down for 1,5h. He just loves it and never runs out of energy. We do stop in between every 30 - 45 minutes for water and a short rest of course and the pace is slow. My worry is that all this excersise is just making him need more. If we don´t do much for one day he is so energetic the next day we have to go do something big like a bike ride followed by swimming.

    I think the hardest thing about this is that he never seems to be tired, always wants to keep going. So it is very hard to judge if you´ve done enough or if he´s bored and needs to get rid of more energy.

    Anyway, just my experience, not sure if it is any help since we´re also new to the labrador thing but maybe the more experience members can give some advise on how to recognize if your dog has had enough..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Don Carlos of the Blue Mountains -------- -------- ------- www.trebert.net

  11. #9
    Sophiesmama's Avatar
    Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I guess it´s easy to over-do it, I think we´re on the same path. Our dog is almost 10 months old and we currently live on a mountain which means any time Don Carlos goes out of the house he runs up and down slopes. He loves it and can´t get enough of it.

    He normally gets at least 1 hour of walking every day, most of the time going up, resting, going back down. Sometimes we take him on a longer hike where we walk up for 2,5hours, rest for an hour or so and walk back down for 1,5h. He just loves it and never runs out of energy. We do stop in between every 30 - 45 minutes for water and a short rest of course and the pace is slow. My worry is that all this excersise is just making him need more. If we don´t do much for one day he is so energetic the next day we have to go do something big like a bike ride followed by swimming.

    I think the hardest thing about this is that he never seems to be tired, always wants to keep going. So it is very hard to judge if you´ve done enough or if he´s bored and needs to get rid of more energy.

    Anyway, just my experience, not sure if it is any help since we´re also new to the labrador thing but maybe the more experience members can give some advise on how to recognize if your dog has had enough..
    I love the name! I have come to the conclusion that many dogs take on the traits of their owners. My last two and even our poodle takes cues from us. If we are feeling "nappy", Sophie is right up on the bed with us. If we are up and busy, she is following us around the house. If we start getting ready to go somewhere, her ears perk up and she starts getting herself ready to go. Sophie will go out on her own to play, but really plays hard if we are outside with her. She likes to show off! Try relaxing with your boy. Fill a Kong with something yummy and get him to relax with you. Snuggle him and talk quietly to him. Good luck!
    ~Pam



    Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo


    8.5 mo.

    Sophie 15 months, with Skye

  12. #10
    smokey's Avatar
    smokey is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luvmydog2much View Post
    I think you're overdoing it.

    I tell my puppy families to expect from the puppy what you want from the dog. If you want him to relax at Jeopardy time when he's 3, relax him as a puppy. Crate him etc.

    You're teaching that puppy that he needs to be on the go all the time. Which will work well if that's what you want. But you will have to live with that the rest of his life.

    You are also forgetting about mental exercise. Physical is one thing, but it is exhausting for a dog to be using it's mind.
    Thank You! "expect from the puppy what you want from the dog" best way I've seen it put. It would be easy to entertain a cute puppy all day long some days, but also it would create a monster...this is a bit of an issue at our house. I crate the puppy for a random hour here and there so that he is used to it. I'm usually home, but sometimes I have to do things that the puppy can't tag along for. AND don't want a full grown dog that thinks all day is playtime.

    ETA: my husband isn't home all that much and when he is he likes to disrupt our schedule that is working very well. He thinks the crating when I'm here is mean...pfft! He is gone for weeks at a time and the puppy training is on me. He will do things the way I tell him are working, his opinions are just different and he voices them.
    Last edited by smokey; 09-26-2012 at 07:16 AM.
    Smokey 4/25/2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Oh o.k, you lot win, i give up!!
    By Kate3jays in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-26-2008, 08:26 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 07:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25